Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:42 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:04 pm 
I got a used Nikon D90 as a gift but when I want to take a pictures it doesn't take it at all. Is there a lock in this camera? Is there a reset button for it? I have no manual so I'm a bit lost. It came with a Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens..don't know what do. :( Thanks guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:07 pm 

Is there an SD card in the camera?
Is the 50mm F/1.8D set to F/22, and is the orange switch locked?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:25 pm 
@ Citruspers: I don't even know what the orange lock is or where to go to set it up at f/22. I'm a canon user..so I'm really lost with this one. LOL. What are the reasons u think it's not taking pictures? I hope the camera is not damaged..:(. I really wanted to just reset it and see if that did anything but I don't even know where it's at. - I'm lost. :/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:00 pm 
When you switch it on, what does the LCD display (the one on top of the camera) show? Is it something like [-E-]? Please give us as much info as you can.

Let's take this one step at a time and you'll be using your D90 to take wonderful photos soon! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:04 pm 
@luis: I have it on Auto and there's a F - - blinking on right corner of the lcd screen. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:14 pm 

These links might help re `Operating manuals`;

http://freemanualonline.blogspot.com/20 ... anual.html

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers ... a_id/16087

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:22 pm 

hmmm what is wrong with this?? It came with a a Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens...any special settings for the particular lens?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:17 pm 

As Citruspers suggested check the aperture on the lens is set to F22 and locked there, its printed in orange on the scale.
There's a small sliding locking clip that locks it in that position, its in line with the 'D' (1:1.8 D) the camera sorts the aperture out from there.
To reset the camera back to sensible settings, press and hold together the top AF and exposure buttons for a few seconds to the right of the top LCD. (They both have a small green dot near them)
The top LCD will flash to let you know its done it.
Leave it in auto or P (programmed)
Hopefully that will get you going...
(and check you have a SD card in the slot!)
(Oh charge your battery as well, looks like its going to go flat pretty soon..)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:22 am 

Make sure that the lens is at f/22 and locked. Here's an example photo:

Note that the aperture ring is set to f/22, and the small switch to the right is set down to the orange line. This will let you control the aperture electronically by rotating the front dial. I believe that the D90 can't recognize when you rotate the aperture dial, so it needs to be changed via the camera.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:46 am 

The display "F--" also can mean "lens not attached" - a problem some D90 cameras (including mine) had in the early days. There could be a slight misalignment in the lens mount.

I have one of those lenses and it operates flawlessly on mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:12 am 
Thanks everyone.

@ EvanK

My lens doesn't have the lock. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:25 am 

Oh that's what it is...
Looks like your in manual mode all the way with this one!!
Set the camera on on M and try again.
It will show F-- on the LCD's, that's normal in this mode.
You will have to set the aperture manually as well, though the camera will stop down the diaphragm for you. Set it on f5.6/f8 to start with i guess.
It won't meter or auto focus with this lens either, should take nice pictures though!
I thought you had the more modern 50mm, looks like a version E not a D but im no expert. Good you posted up the picture.

Last edited by Gonz on Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:42 pm 

looks like a really old lens, wont work in automodes, youll have to do everything manually on it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:56 am 

This looks like an old Nikon series E AI-s lens, you threw us off by mentioning that it was an AF version earlier:

Quote:
It came with a a Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens

Unfortunately, being an old AI-s lens, you won't get any metering functionality, or any automatic focusing, but that's to be expected. Without metering, you'll have to either use an external meter and enter the data into the camera, or you'll have to guess exposure. For focusing, you'll obviously have to rotate the focusing ring to focus every time, which can be a bit difficult at first, but it becomes easier after a bit of time. The focus assist feature in the VF (the little green dot) should help you know when you have the perfect focus, which can sometimes be quite a handy feature.

If you want the ability to meter with this lens, you'll have to upgrade to a D7000 or a better model, which allows you to meter with AI and AI-s glass, as it's able to detect the lens' coupling ridge, therefor it can detect the lens' aperture and be able to meter correctly. The D90 can't identify this ridge, which is why it can't meter. You're out of luck for focusing, no matter what body you mount the lens onto it will always be manual focus. To use the lens, you'll need to keep it in manual (marked as "M" on the camera) all the time.

For the ability to be able to focus or meter without buying a new body, look into a newer lens such as the excellent and cheap 50mm f/1.8 AF, which offers the same aperture as your current lens, but you'll be able to meter and auto focus. You could also take a look at one of the newer 50mm f/1.8 models, such as the 50mm f/1.8 AF-S, or even the 35mm f/1.8 AF-S which would give a slightly wider field of view that would be better for general photography.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:16 am 
Thank you everyone for responding! :) You've been really helpful.