Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:56 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:25 pm 
I want to take some pictures indoor but at night time with my Canon Xsi..I have the lens that came with the kit. Any tips on how to make my pictures look good? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:02 pm 

Do these things in this order:

1) go to Aperture priority mode
2) Open your aperture as wide as you can (lowest number)
3) Increase ISO as high as you are willing to put up with
4) Post the pictures here so we can critique and give suggestions for improvement :-)

Nikon D200
SB-600
YN-560 II
YN RF 603 x 4
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8
Nikon AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:28 pm 
Sorry I'm a bit late on this, but I disagree with Trevor.

Ce_Jeu - you will need a tripod and remote shutter release.

I suggest you set up your camera on tripod and connect the shutter release. Use the sharpest part of the lens, probably around F/8, or have a read up about hyperfocal focusing.

You will need to set your lens to manual focus, and turn of the image stabilisation - it's not needed when mounted on a tripod and can attempt to correct motion which isn't occurring.

Set the camera into manual mode using the dial on the top. ISO low as possible, aperture to F/8 and shutter speed to "bulb".

Dependant on the time of night, you'll need to use different length shutter speeds. We're talking in excess of 10mins, it really just depends on the available light. During night hours, light can come from street lighting, buildings, light pollution, the moon/stars etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:49 pm 

First step, set camera to Av mode (the main wheel now controls the aperture) open aperture widest possible, set iso to 800 and half press the shutter. The camera will calculate a shutter speed that it thinks will give a good exposure. If this is faster than 1/focal length you have set then you are good to go, otherwise you need to get more light in. This can be done by upping the iso more (Dow side more noise in image), buying a lens with a larger aperture (downside more expenditure ), adding light with a flash or. Even just turning the room lights on

Canon EOS 30/33 and Pentax MX/ME Super

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:52 pm 
Quote:
open aperture widest possible

Only if Ce_Jeu wants a shallow DOF.

Quote:
set iso to 800

This will likely introduce unwanted noise to the image.

Quote:
half press the shutter

In low light, autofocus may not be able to pick out a point of high contrast.

Quote:
The camera will calculate a shutter speed that it thinks will give a good exposure

Unless it reaches the >30s range, in which case Ce_Jeu will need to switch to manual and set the shutter himself.

Quote:
adding light with a flash

The best decision - although an external flash will produce far better results than the built-in one. Get a diffuser for the flashgun and a cable connection for it - you'll need to bounce the light off a wall onto your subject in order to avoid harsh shadows. Ceilings and walls are good for this. Failing that (you may be in open space) get yourself a reflector and fire it onto that.