Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:30 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:36 pm 

This sunday my grandparents are married for 54 years, so the whole family is coming together and i want to make some pictures of everybody (since this is maybe the last time everyone is still alive). I own a A33 and i'm going to borrow a old 50f1.7 lens for the shots. But i was wondering what settings i should put my camera on?

Should i just shoot stupidly in Auto+ mode?
aperture mode with the f1.7?

so basically i'm asking for advice if i will get enough in-focus for a portrait with the f very low?

I hope you can help me with some good advice.

Vincent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:12 pm 

You don't say whether you will be using flash or some other type of lighting so assuming you will be using natural light I would take a couple of shots using auto JPEGS and see how they turn out. Then switch to Portrait mode and take a few more.
Finally switch to Aperture priority and set your camera to f2.8 and try that, then f4 and try that. I would also shoot in RAW in Aperture priority mode then you have a better chance to alter any shots for white balance/exposure/saturation etc.
I would only use the widest aperture setting if you are indoors with poor lighting and your subjects are all the same distance from the camera otherwise some will be out of focus. You may have to bump up your ISO anyway as well to the limit your camera can cope with and still produce relatively noise-free photos.
Don't be in a rush and take plenty of pics at different settings and you are sure to have a lot of keepers.

I know a little about a lot, a lot about little and everything about nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:26 pm 

totally forgot about the flash, but i only have the pop-up flash and i want the most natural light.

thanks for the tips I will try the different settings you have suggested:)