Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:04 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:41 am 
Gordon Laing wrote:
2: Use a longer exposure, but you'd need a cable release for more than 30 secs on most cameras - and watch out for star trails!

I thought 30 seconds was the longest exposure on his camera?

SnS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:48 am 
Although I think Gordon's entry this month was quite a nice landscape, i believe it would have been better if a very-wide-angle lens was used. (Unless theres some unsightly detail at the sides he doesn't want to show).

The only(red text was edited) thing I don't quite like was the suitability. How do(es) the mountain(s) show his town? Im certain its not his living place either... :lol: lol..

Last thing - Is gordon reviewing the 400D now? How come he uses it for so many of his dslrTips workshops and even till now...(something fishy)
He did say he tends to use what he is reviewing at the moment.

Signed,
SnS

P.S. to all: I'll be doing a review on the Canon EOS 400D dSLR and it should be out by tonight, +8 GMT.

Last edited by SCREAMnSHOUT on Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:04 am 

whoa.
sns.
my take on that shot is totally different...I am amazed at the glory that scene displays...the high mountains, the nestled town, the water, truly an all encompassing shot. What more is there, to looking at all that nature has to offer, just like the eye of an eagle..
I like the shadow of the clouds on the hills, as you are looking down towards the town..I found the shot to be brilliantly composed, and executed.

To each his own, that is true, but I like this one just fine,
thank you Mr. Lainge.

Gordon. I did not know you were into fish. In all this time I never heard you mention carp.

Sns, You may have the technique down, but not the unbiased parts...

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:25 am 
patti wrote:
whoa.
sns.
my take on that shot is totally different...I am amazed at the glory that scene displays...the high mountains, the nestled town, the water, truly an all encompassing shot. What more is there, to looking at all that nature has to offer, just like the eye of an eagle..
I like the shadow of the clouds on the hills, as you are looking down towards the town..I found the shot to be brilliantly composed, and executed.

To each his own, that is true, but I like this one just fine,
thank you Mr. Lainge.

Gordon. I did not know you were into fish. In all this time I never heard you mention carp.

patti

Noooo patti u got me wrong :(
The pic by Gordon(Laing not Lainge) is very beautiful and belongs in National Geographic BUT i personally dont think it fully suits the theme of the month.

SnS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:31 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for your comments! SnS, I actually have a wider version of this shot, but you see less of Queenstown itself, so I went for this one. But just for you, here's the wide one! No unslightly details!

Above: Canon EOS 400D / XTi with EF-S 10-22mm at 10mm, Program, f10, 1/250, 100 ISO, -0.3 EV.

I know neither show the town center, but for me, views like this ARE Queenstown. Everyone who lives or visits here loves the outdoors and spends their time exploring it. This mountain dominates the QT landscape and you can walk up it direct from my home, the town center or from almost anywhere around here without getting in a car. So for me views like these really do represent the place where I live!

Anyway, it doesn't matter as I can't enter the competition anyway - I'm just participating for fun!

Nothing fishy about using the 400D - Canon got fed up with me requesting one every few weeks to compare to other DSLRs all the time, so I bought one. I use it for comparisons and also the workshops simply because it is the best-selling model. If this is leading to the 'which camera I own and use' discussion, it's one of several! I took it on this hike because it's nice and light!

PS - Patti, thanks for your kind words! As it happens I love fish! Although - ahem - on my dinner plate!

Last edited by Gordon Laing on Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:47 am 
ook gordon(if you dont mind me calling you that) thanks for explaining.

SnS

P.S. to all: I just finished my Canon EOS 400D review which you can read http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=24351#24351 here.

Quote:
If the mountain will not come to Mohamed, Mohamed must go to the mountain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:53 am 
Site Admin

No problem SnS! I just wanted to get across that it's not a random landscape shot in New Zealand, but one which I personally feel sums up my current home town of Queenstown!

PS - so do you prefer the wider version?

PPS - most DSLRs can expose for as long as 30 seconds using their own electronics, but they also offer a 'Bulb' mode. This lets you keep the shutter open for as long as the shutter button is pressed.

Olympus DSLRs tend to limit you to 8 minutes, but others will keep going until the battery gives up!

Try it next time you have your 400D - select Manual and turn the shutter speed down until you reach B. Then press and hold the button down and the shutter will stay open until you let go! Obviously you'll wobble the camera doing this, hence the suggestion of a cable release accessory.

Astro-photographers regularly do exposures lasting several minutes and if the sky is dark enough, even longer! The longest I saw was from the middle of Australia for about five hours!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:12 am 
Gordon Laing wrote:
PS - so do you prefer the wider version?
Both are nice in a sense :)
Gordon Laing wrote:
PPS - most DSLRs can expose for as long as 30 seconds using their own electronics, but they also offer a 'Bulb' mode. This lets you keep the shutter open for as long as the shutter button is pressed.

Olympus DSLRs tend to limit you to 8 minutes, but others will keep going until the battery gives up!

Try it next time you have your 400D - select Manual and turn the shutter speed down until you reach B. Then press and hold the button down and the shutter will stay open until you let go! Obviously you'll wobble the camera doing this, hence the suggestion of a cable release accessory.

Astro-photographers regularly do exposures lasting several minutes and if the sky is dark enough, even longer! The longest I saw was from the middle of Australia for about five hours!

Awesome! I'll try it the next time the school lets me use the 400D.

Thanks,
SnS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:18 am 
Site Admin

Obviously you're gonna want a dark place for an exposure longer than 30 seconds though! Try it in a dark room with someone waving a torch...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:29 am 
Gordon Laing wrote:
Obviously you're gonna want a dark place for an exposure longer than 30 seconds though! Try it in a dark room with someone waving a torch...

Lol i'd love to but my usage of the 400D is quite limited, to just about the event areas. (But some places are dark so i'll see whether long exposures can make it as bright as sunny areas). Whats bad is that i most likely wont get to use a tripod. only chance is when my school having workshops/courses on the dSLR.

Thanks,
SnS

P.S.: This is a great way to test my hands' steadiness! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:53 am 
Gordon,

I prefer the wider version because it at least has some, albeit underexposed (?ND grad needed), foreground interest. The scenery in both photos do, however, compel me to make a trip to NZ at some point in time, but as far as both compositions go, I think they could be both made stronger. Thanks for sharing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:12 pm 

Yay! good SnS, I am glad we are back on the same page...am going nowto check the review.

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:43 pm 
Site Admin

Hi photoj, thanks for your comments - I agree, most of the subject is in the distance and there's little foreground interest, but sadly the top of that particular mountain is pretty bereft of anything to place in the foreground!

I know it's not a great landscape shot, but I chose it as I love the view, and again it represents Queenstown to me. It's funny, I get so used to the view from the skyline that the view from Ben Lomond feels almost as if you're in a plane in comparison!

Anyway, we're at the halfway point now in the contest, so come one anyone who's not entered yet! And we have a week left on voting for 'Love'.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:03 pm 
Just wanted to say that I loved Photoj's entry, I was in the British Museum back in November and that hall, for those who don't know it, is absolutely HUGE, a great capture with the Sigma 10-20mm and awesome lightning. :shock:

I'll place my entry for this month's contest as soon as I get rid of this anoying flu I've got... :?

Bye!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:37 am 
Thanks beren23. Get well soon, and I look forward to your entry.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next