Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:59 am

All times are UTC

I've used/touched/seen in real life the Panasonic Lumix FX-01 before.
Yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No 100%  100%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 6
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:05 am 
The Lumix FX-01 isnt exactly brand new but its still on sale so i guess i'll still contribute to this forum :)

This compact has pretty sharp images when fully zoomed out, ISO set to Auto, and 6-megapixels being used(theres an option to use only 3). Still sharp with some zoom but some noise in dark areas at 200 ISO and above.

With a seperately purchased case, you can fit this camera into your pocket, which then satisfies one of the important roles of a compact. The kit case they gave couldn't fit very well; it was probably designed for a bag.

The Panasonic Singapore website ( www.panasonic.com.sg ) website states that it has a 2.5 inch screen but from my estimation, it should be somewhere between 2.4 and 3.1 inches.
The menu is relatively simple to use but you'll have to read the manual if you need to know all the techie' terms.

One of my favourite parts of this camera is that it has wide angle lens! 28mm of 35mm equivalent(i dont know what the '35mm equivalent' means) gives great landscape shots and when held vertically, doubles as a shift/perspective lens.
The 3.6x optical zoom(somehow in the camera it says 5x when zoomed in maximum) does not produce images anywhere close to that of a telephoto. In addition to the optical zoom is the 4x digital zoom, which brings the maximum total zoom to 20x. As with all compacts, I recommend you do not use the maximum zoom unless you're really desperate and don't mind moderately pixelised images. (I forgot to check for noise in the zoomed in images).

Scene settings include the standard Landscape, Portrait, Night Portrait, Fireworks, Baby 1, Baby 2, Candlelight, etc..
Lighting settings have modes similar to Fluorescent, Sunlight, etc..

For requests of images, please ask in this topic. I will do my best to get those shots for you.
P.S.: I'll need someone to post the [img] tags again...i still don't know how.

Signed, your fellow CL reviewer,
SnS

(edit) See my February Submission for 'On Assignment' to see a sample image taken using this camera. Request for more if needed.

EDIT on 21st May-----------

Final Say: Although Lumix-series compacts from Panasonic are renowned for their pretty good quality with affordable prices, the FX-01 is outdated and I recommend a newer model.

Last edited by SCREAMnSHOUT on Wed May 21, 2008 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:33 pm 
Site Admin

Hi SnS, thanks for the report. I like Panasonioc compacts but find them noisy at higher ISOs... how have you found your FX-01 at high sensitivities? Does the noise bother you, or is it ok for what you're doing with your photos?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:24 am 
Gordon Laing wrote:
Hi SnS, thanks for the report. I like Panasonioc compacts but find them noisy at higher ISOs... how have you found your FX-01 at high sensitivities? Does the noise bother you, or is it ok for what you're doing with your photos?

If you're making a small image to put on the Internet, its ok to set higher ISO. If you're making a poster and the dominant image is a photo taken by an FX01 i'd strongly recommend to set the ISO to auto to maximise clarity and sharpness.

SnS

P.S. to all: See my review on the Canon EOS 400D dSLR which will be out by tonight, +8 GMT. I'll be writing about ISO with the 400D as well.