Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:48 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:55 am 
I want a camera with a side/fuly articulating screen for still self portraits as I dont want to have to carry large mirrors around in the wilderness. Ive been looking at the Canon EOS 600d, Nikon d5100 and Sony SLT A77 (I've ruled out the A65 as it appears to be impracticle for use with a tripod and flash-PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong!!) I am getting back to my work practice after a hiatus of many years- I used to use an SLR and process and print my own work :) as such am a DSLR novice, really need some advice on which of these models may suit my purposes. It seems that they are mostly geared towards videography.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:06 am 
EricaG - Hi, and welcome aboard! Good to see somebody from Tassie, too!

But you're "doing a bit of an ask" for DSLRs with fully articulating LCD/LiveViews - there aren't many about, yet - though with the P&S Bridge-Zoom users used to the setup - and wanting it as they move up to DSLR, there should be more soon.

The Canon EOS D60 has it - to quote DCW's site - "With intuitive technology and a brand new high resolution 3.0 inch Vari-Angle LCD Screen anyone can experiment with different angles and capture beautiful images that truly inspire everyone around you."

So that might suit you - though you haven't indicated a budget - it's a bit above Entry-Level prices, though not "expensive".

On the Digital Camera Warehouse Sydney, kit prices:

Body only: - $1,075.00

With 18-55 IS lens: - $1,209

With 18-135 IS lens: - $1,519.00.

- With the Canons, "IS" means that the lens has Image Stabilising (shake reduction) - I think Nikon calls their lenses with it "VR". Both of those also have more budget-priced lenses without it. Sony and Pentax have their shake-reduction in the camera-body, so it applies to all lenses mounted on those bodies. Some think that having it in the lens gives better results - and some don't.

Look about - there might be better prices online.

Regards, Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:08 pm 
Thanx Dave! I will definately take a closer look at the Canon D60 could be a winner! As for budget I'd rather keep the package under$1500 but am happy to spend extra to get the best value and product for my needs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:47 pm 
Just wondering why you have recommended the Canon 60D over the Canon 600D?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:39 pm 
EricaG - Oooops! Guilty as charged! :shock:

Sorry - I'd been following an intense argument for and against tilting / articulated LCDs on another forum (Pentax) - where the few DSLRs that have either were mentioned.

So I went to Canon D60 Reviews for a look-see at what its LCD actually does. And mentioned the D60 when you asked here. I wasn't aware the "next model down", the D600, also has full-articulated.

I certainly wasn't "recommending over" the 600D... Now that I've had a look at the 600D Reviews - it seems to do most of what anyone would usually do with a 60D - including HD Video.

The only "down" I'd notice for my interests is the Fast Continuous - the 600D does 3.7fps and the 60D 5.3fps.

So it was my 'researching error' entirely - not anything between them against Canon...

Regards, Dave.