Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Grumpy old man
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:58 pm 

As a new forum member, I probably should have chosen "Grumpyoldman" as my user name since I'm not knowledgeable enough about the subjects at hand to post intelligent questions or comments, and any posts I do make will probably be in the nature of nit-picking complaints or querulous questions.

So, nit-picking complaint #1: From the Nov '10 Canon PowerShot S95 review -final verdict, "The appeal of a smaller body cannot be underestimated." Intuitively I would have thought that the appeal of a smaller body could not be overestimated, or even, a little less conventionally, that its appeal can be underestimated, but I can only conclude that Gordon feels that the bigger the camera body the better.

Querulous question #2: Why doesn't Camera Labs include in their reviews a nicely summarized table of specifications..or did I miss something? As a grumpy old man with countless other deficiencies in this world that need attention, I don't have the time to read through expansive text descriptions to get the dimensions and weight here, the lens speed somewhere else, and the flash power yet elsewhere.

I doubt I'll get a satisfactory reply to this post...but I'll be back. My work here is not yet done.

ldvliet (aka gom)

Post subject: Re: Grumpy old man
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:07 pm 

ldvliet wrote:
but I can only conclude that Gordon feels that the bigger the camera body the better.

In terms of feeling: Probably. The bigger the camera the better you can hold it - up to a certain point. But if it's about transportation, "pocketability" - smaller cameras are better. A S95 just fits in about any pocket while a G12 or even bigger cameras (DSLRs etc.) don't.

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:09 am 
Site Admin

Blimey you are a grumpy man.

1: Yes you're probably right about the wording. The meaning I was trying to get across was that I really liked the small size and its pocket ability was more useful than many may think. So I do not think bigger is better. This should be clear from my numerous gushing reviews of mirror less ILCs.

2: Yes specification tables would be nice, as would many other things, but I am but one man. Cameralabs is a one man operation - I do pretty much everything here by myself, from the testing to the writing, to the layout, to the marketing and advertising, and of course some of the forum activities too. As such my resources are limited and I only have so much time. There's lots of things I'd like to include in reviews, but I simply don't have time to do them. I choose to sacrifice specification tables because everyone else does them, including the manufacturers, so there's a lot of duplicate data out there. There's no point in me doing something that's easily available elsewhere when it would mean sacrificing another element of the review which may be more unique.

I hope you understand.

I also hope you understand that if you make a habit of posting nit-picking comments I may not always have time to reply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:02 am 

Gordon, I realized you were actually extolling the advantage (in most respects) of camera portability and I was just being sarcastic about reversing the meaning of the phrase. This error (...can't be over/under -estimated...) is common here in the former colonies but as a New Zealander, and arguably closer to the mother tongue, the standard should be higher.

I didn't realize that Camera Labs was essentially a one-man operation. That's a tremendous output for one person...which makes me regret my criticisms, which I hereby withdraw.

No reply necessary.

ldvliet :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:50 am 

Welcome to the forum, hell of a first post!

Must admit it rubbed me up the wrong way, I thought "what the hell!" Your retraction was good to see from my point if view.

You have 2 valid points there though.

I hate double negatives which are similar to the gramatical error you've pointed out but I just irritae folks if I go on about it too much. Communication is about communicating and as long as it is obvoius what the person is actually trying to say I tend to keep my gob shut

If I'm looking at reviews on the internet chances are I will definitely be checking the manufactuers site. I will be looking at real world review like Gordons for different things. There is nothing more irritating than descriptions that are obviously cut and pastes of manufacturers info. Unless the reviewer is going to check specifications independantly posting the specs is pointless duplication in my honest opinion

Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 with 496 Ball Head. Gorilla Pod SLR
Canon Powershot A720IS with CHDK and intervalometer script. Pentax Optio W90

My Blog - http://www.ianganderton.wordpress.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:36 am 
Site Admin

Hi ldvliet, withdrawl accepted! Thanks!

I should add that I would like to include some basic specs at the top of reviews and this might be something I can implement in a future redesign, alongside a contents panel for the review.

I should also probably add that while I live in NZ, I am English, so any distance from the 'mother tongue' can't be used to excuse my grammatical errors!

Gordon