Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Island living
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:20 pm 

Last edited by dubaiphil on Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:39 pm 
i wish i was there right now :shock: very nice pics!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:52 am 
*shudder* those looks like screenshots from the new Zombie-killer game "Dead Island"...but that's another story..

Lovely, juicy shots there!!

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:24 am 

Thanks Alan and LahLahSr - I really should post the straightened versions! Slightly wonky horizons while editing on the aircraft home!

Last edited by dubaiphil on Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:28 am 

straightened - you're got to love the colour straight out of the 14-24!

and a few 24-70 shots

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:58 am 
Wot no haze? :p

As always great photos. Did you manage to complete your tick list?

What was the set up for the last one? Was there much processing? The coulds don't seem to have moved

Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:14 am 

Thanks Ian - didn't quite manage all of the tick list!

For the last shot I was on a pier with wooden decking. Whenever a waiter walked past there was vibration so I had to set a longer shutter to reduce the effect of this. I had a remote timer with me so the camera was set up at ISO250, F5.6 and manual focus on bulb mode and then the timer was set up to take 20 shots at a 4 minute shutter speed at 1 second intervals.

The 4 minute shutter speed minimised the vibrations and ensured that the moonlight had snought time to light the beach.

Then when home I stacked the shots together using a free program called startrails.exe. In a few shots there was a couple walking along the beach with a torch so I used a shot with no people in it and blended in photoshop.

Unfortunately the clouds occasionally blocked the stars which broke the trails, and due to the vibrations I couldn't go to a 30 second shutter speed to get a decent time lapse out of it. So a total exposure of 80 minutes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:50 am 

As always, breathtaking shots. Straightening a photo can really make a huge difference, eh?

Just out of curiosity, why weren't you shooting wide open for the star trail shot? I understand that closing off a bit gives you sharper final results, but you'd want to get the most light in for astrophotos. Did you close off a bit to reduce the shutter speed because of the vibrations?

Anyways, great photos, I can't wait to see more. I'll also have to take a look into startrails.exe.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:47 am 

Thanks EvanK

I wanted a balance between number of individual shots and exposure to vibration. I could have shot wide open at f2.8 and ISO 100 but that would have left me with a very long 'dark exposure' at the end of the run to act as the shot to reduce noise in the software.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:48 am 

The 85 f1.4D got an occasional workout as well

@ f1.4 with a 3 stop ND filter

and @ f5.6

[/url]

Last edited by dubaiphil on Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:49 am 

and the 35mm Distagon saw the light of day as well - gotto love the pop from the Carl Zeiss

@ f2 with 2 stop ND filter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:55 pm 

Beautiful images Phil. Fabulous location.
I guess you're used to the strong light, reflections etc, but did you find any differences in conditions that you weren't expecting, or had to re think?
I guess air `quality` was far better & less humidity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:36 pm 

Thanks oldCarlos

It was less humid, which helps if you've got a backpack and of course the visilibity was greater. The biggest difference you notice is the quality of the light. In the Middle East it's very flat - i.e. once you've taken a shot and you then review your histogram you notice one big peak with little else going on. You therefore learn early to post process to add contrast and saturation if required.

Going abroad it's as if you have had a cataract operation - full histograms and richer colours straight off the bat. Slap a great lens like the 14-24, 24-70 or the Carl Zeiss on and it blows your mind - sure, it's now possible to buy filters for the 14-24 at great expense but the colour and clarity straight out of the camera are as if it has a built in polariser.

The biggest difference is having to use exposure compensation - in the Middle East it's rarely used, but you have to check your histograms when shooting in other parts of the world until you become acclimatised - the great dynamic range of the D700 means it's not too great an issue and you can recover things in post but I prefer to get it right in camera if possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:40 am 

I think you nailed it when it comes to the signature beach shots - nice blue sky, turquoise water, etc. Would love to see more star trails/astrophotography! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:28 am 

Thanks eVolutioN

Only one star trail shot taken, but I'm working on a Milky Way shot. I don't know how to accentuate the colours of the star and gas clusters so it's a work in progress.