Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:23 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:00 pm 
Hello all!!!! :D

Having just taken my first tentative steps into the world of DSLR so I am so relieved to have found this site, and looking forward to exchanging info.

Reading the forum and the workshops has really fired me up to get out with the camera. The workshops are very good and straight forward - understood every word but translating that with a camera in hand is v different. :?

Did some test shots yesterday after going through all the workshops and wow it's so different but got a few nice ones but aim to do better, so a few days planned this week to get out walking with the camera. 8)

Living in the Highlands of Scotland at the mo, but due to relocate to London in the next few weeks before setting off for a trek through West Africa for the next year so hoping to try my hand at country and city shots before I go..so I will be learning on the hoof I guess. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:17 pm 

Welcome mate!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:38 pm 
hi and welcome! this website helped me also when i first started up! :)

check out this site for tips http://www.photographymad.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:19 pm 

Hello Ziggy, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum! I hope you enjoy your stay here.
Reading your itinerary I'd say: Whoa, it was about time you get a decent camera :wink:
And don't forget to capture the beautiful rural Scottish scenes before you relocate to the urban sprawl of London. That should give you enough practical experience for your trip to Africa.

One advice I'm always giving to people new to DSLRs: try it out in automatic mode: Auto-focus, auto-exposure, auto-ISO,...
It's amazing what a modern camera can do for you on auto-everything.
Try to learn from that what the situations are where you are not so content with the results. Normally there is some way to tell the camera to adapt their automatic settings to those situations, so you're not left to your own devices.

But most importantly: get off the manual and have fun shooting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:25 pm 

Welcome onboard :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:52 pm 
Thanks peeps for the welcome.

Truth be known I have been looking for a reason to justify the cost of a DSLR and now I have finally got the perfect excuse!

I will try to remember to use the auto modes as suggested as this is an excellent idea and probably give me some confidence. I have invested in a tripod and a remote shutter release so I am excited about that but also trying to use it without but there's a lot of shake at 300mm so tripod essential - so pleased I had invested in the tripod. May need to get a bean bag but trying not to overload myself with equipment at this stage.

So tomorrow rain or shine (probably rain) I am off to Rogie Falls to have a bash at seeing what I can pull out of the hat with moving water and those gorgeous autumnal colours... who knows I may manage to snap a salmon in action going up river! (I can dream!) I love so many pics of water and although I have snapped them a lot I am never happy with them as they all seem so flat and lack some ooommmphhh.

I'll try and upload a few for comments from the more discerning eye to see how I could improve...I took several shots of a seagull plodding around on the grass yesterday and couldn't believe how tricky that was to get the focus right in relation to the background but I eventually managed to get something that was ok for a few attempts.

The filter is a new experience and I managed to test it out on the sunrise yesterday with some interesting effects but feel it's more hit and miss.

Typical me trying to run before I can walk!!! I think though it's going to be addictive as I can see the shots that I want...but what I get are two different things...but I guess that's probably par for the course.

Think hubby is about to become a camera widow! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:59 pm 

300mm + tripod :shock:
Could you give us a glimpse of the other gear you got? There certainly is a body and a more normal lens that comes with the tripod and the 300mm :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:24 pm 
I have a Canon 400D with Canon EF 75-300mm F4-5.6 USM II and EFS 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS EF lenses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:10 am 
Site Admin

Welcome on-board!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:54 am 
Thanks Gordon, I have learnt loads already from this site. :)