Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Firefox 4
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:53 am 

Hi folks,

For those wondering whether to upgrade from Firefox 3 to Firefox 4 I'm happy to say all went well here under Windows 7 x64. My first action before upgrading was, of course, to check that all my current Extensions were v4 compatible. The Norton Internet Security Toolbar was the only incompatible extension of note but as I had that disabled anyway it's no loss to me. The Microsoft HTML 5 extension for v3 is also incompatible but I'm guessing that it isn't needed for v4.

The only gotcha I suffered was not being able to find quick access to my "Bookmarks" with the Firefox menu bar hidden. Found it eventually at the far right of my Bookmarks Toolbar so all seems to be well except I'd have preferred it on the left! Version 4 does seem a little snappier too. 8)

Update: Fixed the "Bookmarks Button" issue. If one doesn't display the Bookmarks Toolbar (View options) then a Bookmarks Button appears in the Firefox 4 Navigation Toolbar. Makes sense of course but when the Bookmarks Toolbar is displayed the Bookmarks Button, by default, moves from the Navigation Toolbar to the right of the Bookmarks Toolbar. Some will like it there but I don't because with multiple nested folders of bookmarks the pop-up menus start appearing to the left of the parent when screen real estate runs out.

The trick to getting the Bookmarks Button at the left of Bookmarks Toolbar is to note that when you bring up the Customise dialog box the icon for the Bookmarks Button now appears in the Navigation Toolbar. Click on it and drag it to the far left of the Bookmarks Toolbar and OK your way out of the dialog box and you're done. As a bonus I've now got the folder holding most of my RSS subscriptions next to the Bookmarks Button which sort of unifies the user interface rather better. 8)
Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:09 am 

While I agree completely, I'd like to mention that, on Windows 7, IE9 is much improved. So much so that this is the first time/version I would be OK with using IE as my default browser. But on XP, Vista and/or if you're using the mobile version on an Android phone, Firefox 4 would be/is my choice.

And on a Mac, I'd stick with Safari - Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:01 pm 

Hi folks,

I've just discovered that under Firefox 4 it's possible to resize the size of the edit box when composing a post for the forum (screen-shot below). The edit box can be made both wider and higher by grabbing the little triangular pattern of dots in the bottom right of the edit box with the mouse and dragging. Unfortunately the edit box size is not remembered if you hit the Preview button or between post edits and/or creation but it's still useful to have when composing longer posts.

Don't remember seeing this before so if someone tells me that it was previously available under Firefox 3 I'm going to be mightily embarrassed. :oops:

Here's what it looks like:

Graphically slightly different under Mac OS but the same functionality is there.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:57 pm 

Bob, i think the ability to resize the box has been there in the last versions of firefox 3.
i'm not completely shure, but i can remember might using it earlier this year.:)

Canon 50mm 1.4 USM, 100mm F2.8 USM, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II,
16-35 F2.8 L 24-105 L IS USM

Sigma 300mm F2.8

Canon Pixma PRO-9000 MKII

and a 17-40 F4L in a hundred little pieces

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:54 am 
I never noticed the resize before but I can confirm that it is possible under Chrome as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:03 am 

Hi folks,

Well, I checked my last machine (Windows 7) with Firefox v3 on it before upgrading it to Firefox v4 and the ability to resize the post editbox wasn't there so I'm guessing that this is a new feature. Most welcome. 8)

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:49 am 
i also like the full screen mode of firefox 4 and 5, i never used it before (maybe was there, too ;) ) not so much for forums, but for playing farmerama or ramacity :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:44 pm 
I am using Firefox 7, and there are some major improvements like speed, crash fix, and some attributes suuports like search box.And it also supports some browser games like Swords Girl and Castlot. Perhaps it will support on your iPhone.

I am still expecting more features on next update. :D