Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:33 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:09 pm 
Site Admin

Hi everyone! While recently testing a camera with a Gorillapod, I folded the legs out into a U shape to achieve a lower shooting angle. Once the legs were in this position, it struck me two of them looked like the handles of a dedicated DSLR filming rig. I decided to investigate further...

So here's my new 'Gorilla-rig', using a Gorillapod Focus with two legs bent upwards as handles, and the third angled backwards to press against your body. In this configuration, I found I could hold the camera much more steadily and comfortably during filming, while greatly reducing shake. It was also much easier to pan and tilt smoothly. The legs could also be adjusted forwards for more comfortable shooting at lower angles - and of course the whole thing can be converted back into a gorrilapod when you want to use it conventionally.

In the photos here I used the Gorillapod Focus (the strongest in the range) to hold the Canon EOS 600D / T3i with standard 18-55mm kit lens and a Rode VideoMic Pro. It worked great with this or lighter combinations like EVIL or compact cameras. I also tried it with a heavier EOS 60D and 15-85mm, and while the extra weight occassionally bent the legs a little, it remained quite usable.

A recommended option if you want a cheap and flexible filming rig!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:08 pm 

This is absolutely brilliant!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:34 pm 

Great rig! Is the third leg long enough to rest in a treat bag attached to your belt?
If so would it aid stability or hinder movement? :?

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:05 pm 
Site Admin

Depends on the height of the bag Bob, or the length of your torso!

Seriously though, the third leg can be adjusted to a variety of positions to either further enhance stability or simply get out of the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:48 am 

A really good piece of initiative Gordon. I had tried a small, cheap tripod with legs at shortest length and various angles. Not really great, so I'll check your idea out with a D7000.

On a separate note, I see that in these pics and others on your site you, like many others more experienced than me, do not have the camera on a strap for safety. Ever have any accidents?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:30 pm 
Site Admin

I use a strap sometimes - a Cameralabs one of course! But for a lot of tripod or rig work, they often get in the way, so I take them off.

Coincidentally, if you have a stretchy strap like the Cameralabs one, you can pop it round your neck and hold the camera out in front of your chest with the straps tight and it works quite well for stabilising video.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:39 am 

What a salesman! I've signed up for two of your straps, partly because although my present one is comfortable it isn't quick release. Thanks for the tips Gordon - I'll try it out with the gorillapod, assuming you order another run of straps.

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:24 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks, I'll let you know if I produce a third run later this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:18 pm 
Brilliant idea, Gordon! Sure does beat buying one of the really expensive rigs, but with the weight issues you were mentioning about the legs bending, it makes me wonder about how it would fare with a larger camera body attached. I like this a lot, now to just find a way to adjust the zoom and focus! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:30 pm 
Site Admin

It depends how you hold it. The 600D / T3i is sufficiently light that you could actually hold the rig by one leg while walking around and the lgs wouldn't bend. But try the same with a heavier body and the legs will bend.

But that's only when holding it by one leg. Hold it by two legs as seen in the photos above and it'll support heavier cameras. I hope to try it with a 5D2 in the near future and will report back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:33 pm 
Oh, well its nice to know you can use it in different ways. Personally, as much as I'd like to have a free hand available I think I'd be willing to sacrifice that and use two hands for the increased stability, especially if you can get good results with larger camera bodies. Looking forward to seeing how it works out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:36 am 
wow - that is such a brilliant solution for an affordable (and multi-function) video rig! I'm going to make it a priority to get it once I grab a 600D!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:43 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome on-board Brotherbloat!

There's been another development in this story - someone's had the bright idea of adding wheels to the gorillapod legs to make a cheap dolly!

Check out the CineSkates!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:14 pm 

What a cool idea 8) (you missed a trick there Gordon :wink: )

Wonder if Joby will buy him out? Or join him.

Good luck to the fella.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:39 am 
Hi!

Yes indeed! I've seen the cine-skates - it's AWESOME! So is PicoDolly, actually! Although that is not specifically g/pod related... :)