Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:38 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:28 pm 

Sure no problem. I just started another thread that would likely clear up any confusion.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readf ... e=39522968

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:39 am 
Site Admin

Thanks bugbait (although I think the OP is still a bit confused! I definitely used the same actual camera and updated it in person on-site).

I've just added a video demonstrating the use of third party microphones - it's on the first page of the review, video sample number 9. It's quite revealing.

Hope you're enjoying all these updates!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:41 am 
Site Admin

Hi SkullOne, thanks for the coffee! Much appreciated!

I think it's either that we didn't have quite the same v0.2 firmware (as you suggest) AND OR their test subject simply showed any difference more clearly than mine for this particular evaluation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:17 am 

Excellent microphone comparison Gordon.

The Rode SVM Stereo Condenser Microphone, sounded far more natural. And now I can wait to purchase this somewhat expensive accessory until I actually need it as I know the functionality is indeed there.

Thank you so very much Gordon.

Friday I will get to play with this this gem myself. I am very much looking forward to insuring it meets all my particular needs. I think it will be the right fit for me.

The intervalometer hasn't shipped yet, oh well another week is OK.

I called Panasonic support today, asking about ultra high speed SD cards. I had forgotten Gordon Laing had already stated he was using one for his review.

"To put the numbers to the test I fitted the FZ150 with a 16GB SanDisk Extreme Pro UHS-1 card rated at 45MB/s."

I got a real person on the support line pretty fast. But I was surprised it was a gum smacking young man that didn't really seem to know what an SD card is. He did speak English well though.
:P

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:48 pm 

Don't know where I got that idea; but it's very clear that I'm wrong. :(

I too, compared the ISO 1600 shots side by side and saw no difference. So I think the idea that the V0.2 firmware you got was more advanced is probably closer to the truth. I find it hard to believe it was the lighting that made that much difference. That also seems to make sense with Panasonic telling you to go ahead with V0.2. The flip side of that would mean that they knew that DPR didn't have the latest version.

Sorry for any confusion I caused. :oops:

Regards,

Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:28 pm 

Congratulation Jerry!

I see elsewhere you went ahead and bought the gizmo. I will look forward to hearing about your prints from the DMC-FZ150. I know you like to print.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:31 pm 

Indeed this is a very nice camera; grippy yet light, fast plus raw with no penalty.

First charge gave me over 400 raw plus fine jpg and over 2 dozen short 1080 videos.

It was either this route or at least 3 times the dollar and learning investment into a T3i system.

My needs are more tool than toy. I spent the best part of yesterday taking and analyzing about 1500 images and about 2 dozen short videos, mostly 1080/60p AVCHD or 1080/60i AVCHD and uploading to a private YouTube test channel.

Like everyone I have checked with; the DMC-FZ150 is arriving retail with the 1.0 firmware, my unit included.

I also scrutinized the other mixed bag of needs such as perfect color matching, macro etc.

Simply put, it works, it just flat works, no fussing about, not super resolution yada that unlimited doe could buy, but better than anything I have tried with lots of flexibility to milk out every drop of goodness I need and then some.

The video is smooth and keeps up with fast hand and body movements, the sound is solid and Gordon Laing has confirmed it works with multiple Rode Mics. I've seen a simple intervalometer on YouTube doing its thing and I have the more advanced unit on the way.

I hadn't heard anyone mention this but the orange people of the previous models are gone. Anglo flesh tones are dead on. As well as the various dozens of hues from my butterfly collection, including the Madagascar Sunset Moth.

Panasonic has the cheapest 3 year spill-drop warranty available which means they believe its solid for the long haul.

I will post an update after I do some time-lapses with the wireless intervalometer after it arrives.

Bye the way Popo and others are very helpful in various areas of the Camera Labs forums. Artist in general are quite generous with their time and technique.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:12 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for your report bug bait, I look forward to hearing how you get on with it in the future!

PS - thanks Jerry, I'm glad you now know the full situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:30 am 
Okay, I just ordered one too. 8) I already have a DMC-GH1 with 14-140 lens (and an LX3), but for some of my uses I miss a motor zoom. The FZ150 should be a nice addition. I hope the video will be nice enough in low(er) light as well.

Btw, I also ordered the Olympus TCON-17. Should be quite nice to have for the extra 'reach'.

Edit: Changed 17-170 to 14-140. :oops:

Last edited by SkullOne on Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:02 pm 
Site Admin

Congrats on your purchases SkullOne! Looking forward to hearing what you think!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:48 am 
Thanks Gordon. I'm pretty sure I will like it. It should likely arrive tomorrow, although there is a slight chance it will arrive today.

As for expectations. I wish Panasonic had used an EVF like the one from the GH1. I even would have paid a bit more if it had. It seems there are no FZ150 reviews touching the whole EVF subject. It's also a old design, Panasonic could easily have done better.

I also considered the Canon SX40, but on paper (and some reviews) it seems way too slow. Especially compared to the FZ150, while maybe only edging it out image quality wise. It's LCD is also too dated sporting that low resolution. Canon could have done that better. It has a nice reach though. I like 24mm better than 25mm for starters, and 840mm trumps 600mm by far. But it uses far larger aperture steps compared to the FZ150 and you can't connect a teleconverter to it. So in that regard I feel the FZ150, for me, is more convenient.

Regarding Video, for me the FZ150 has the edge here. It has a far more versatile codec setup and frame rates. Unless you prefer 24 fps, in that case the Canon would win. But I thinks 24 fps is more useful for larger sensor camera's (for the look and feel of film). One aspect I like about the SX40 is the built in ND-filter. I wish the FZ150 would have that too.

In the end I feel both are good bridge camera's. Both have pro's and con's, but for me the FZ150 works better. And if Panasonic and Canon would have really tried, they could be even better. But that's probably something for next year.

By the way Gordon. Have you ever realised you live in the correct hemisphere? the most interesting camera's always seem to be released during this part of the year. Which means it's always getting Fall/Winter here and Spring/Summer where you live! Lucky you! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:18 am 

This may not be a surprise to many but I suspect more than one will find this thread and find it useful. Particularly Nikon users as they are used to being served well in time-lapse functionality. But for now this is the best super-zoom by far in my opinion.

I am happy to report that the following unit works just fine with the recently released DMC-FZ150 as a wireless shutter and intervalometer solution. Also if you remove the small rubber grommet from the top of the remote you can plug the cable into it, and your camera on the other, for a wired intervalometer (timer) remote configuration.

The wireless has been reported to have excellent range, and went through a few apartments worth of wall this evening just fine.

The vendor below got it to me in 6 days. If you observe the physical shape of the device you may as well buy another brand if you can not find this one. It is sold under a few brand names on Amazon and eBay.

You will not be able to extend the shutter past its already stated 15 seconds. But full manual, A, P, S, Auto, Bracketing all work fine. Changing camera settings between exposures, does not effect the timer settings.

You can program a delay before starting , hours, minutes, seconds etc. 1-99 exposures or set it to limitless exposures. Also a 1 second continuous exposure always available with this model as long as you have not programmed something longer in camera. There is a bulb setting I didn't mess with. But the meat and potatoes of the gizmo works just fine. The manual is pretty badly translated but gets the job done.

I'm glad I popped for the $75.00 for the wireless version instead of the $50.00 version as it is more pleasurable to use. And has a reported 80 meter range, one fella tested at 100 yards.

Here is were I bought mine. Hope this helps somebody.

Studiohut WIRELESS Timer Remote Control Shutter for Panasonic and Leica cameras compatible with Panasonic DMW-RS1 (Refers to the simple wired Panasonic shutter remote.)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003WUMY86

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:00 pm 
@ bugbait
DealExtreme offers that one too for about the same price. Just search there for "TW-282". Seems like the same unit. Do you agree?

Yesterday my FZ150 arrived. However it was getting dark quickly after work, so no time to put it to the test. And today it's raining (and I have to work, so no/little time). :cry:

A couple of first impressions (purely personal :wink:).
- I do not particularly like the EVF, but I also don't think competing camera's have a better one. Like I wrote before, I think a higher quality EVF would be very nice for this camera to have. Nowadays that shouldn't mean it would be much more expensive. I like the LCD though.

- I find it's not really comfortable to hold. I like my GH1 far better. When holding the barrel sometimes the lens collapses itself (for example, when reviewing your shots) and my finger's skin is pinched between the lens and barrel by that motion. Btw, my fingers are pretty thin.

- It's really quick. Especially the 12 frames/1 sec. burst. Drawback is the same as with the GH1. You can't track a 'target' when shooting the way you can with a 'conventional' DSLR. I didn't expect this camera would be able to do this, but I wish it could. So that's also for the list for the successor model. Overall speed seems to be comparable to a consumer level DSLR.

- I like the motor zoom, and the lens stabiliser works pretty good. Overal built quality is good for this kind of camera. However if nitpicking, it could be better material wise. For example, my LX3 feels much better, because of the metal casing. But that probably would have made this camera (needlessly) more expensive, so nitpicking indeed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:33 pm 

I've had the FZ150 for a week and outdoor photos are very nice and auto focus is very fast.

Indoors is a different story, at night with a good amount of light on using iA mode the camera hunts a lot trying to focus and is pretty slow. I swear my Panasonic P&S DMC-ZS3 (Lumix DMC-TZ7) seems faster. I also noticed that for the same shot, the flash does not always fire even though enough time has passed to charge it.

I can shoot in A, P or M mode which may give better results, but my wife will not enter those modes and wants the easy route.

If I never shot indoors I would have no problem with the FZ150, but I think I may have to return it based on indoor performance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:07 pm 

SkullOne,
Yes that would be the same model, if you have had good experience with that vendor I would say very well. Personally I will get my $75 worth from the device. I expected to buy this up front as well as other accessories.

Nothing but rain since mine arrived as well.

I find that like any camera shoot a lot and the gems are there, but a lot more often with this camera. 5 frame with AF is my walk around setting. I end up with about 400 frames before getting home.

I found that folding the index finger of the left hand directly under the barrel housing put my thumb right on the T-W zoom lever. That is to say the middle digit of the index finger is supporting the camera. Yet I also grip with the right hand tight enough that both are carrying the weight and I think helping to stabilize my upper body.

As for the EVF, you would know better than me how it compares to other models. I was surprised to see 1080p video can play back in the EVF, (far lower quality of course but good enough to know if you want to re-shoot.)

Mitchel,
Last night I did a series of test video in wee hours so lighting was controlled. I was after surface detail, texture as I sculpt and I was please with the results at ISO 100, but this is not living room lighting. Daylight florescent bulbs 13 watt each equivalent to 60 watts each for a total of 20 bulbs.

I was able to get very good detail but again not for most folks. But it is probably worth spending some time with it as you can save 3 custom set ups.

I had attached a link to a video I made but then decided to pull it as it might of been in bad taste.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next