Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:13 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:34 pm 

Ok.

I currently have a D3100 and have done a little concert (small shows for local bands) photography with my 35mm 1.8 and a rented 18-200mm. I recently purchased a 50mm 1.8, but of course my camera doesn't have the auto focus motor to focus this lens. So I've been using the rangefinder and have gotten quite good at the manual focus thing.

Anyway, I'll cut to the chase. I'm really into making music videos and my D3100 has served me well for doing that. I'm thinking about selling my D3100 for about $450 and grabbing a D90 for about $550, so I'll be able to focus that 50mm and for more control at my fingertips rather than behind menus.

Do y'all (I'm from Texas) think that would be a good idea or should I wait/save for a D7000, which would cost about $500 more?

One more question. As far as video control, can you control the shutter speed, aperture, and ISO on the movie mode on the D90 like you can with the D3100? I'm really into 45-degree shutter and I'd hate to not be able to do that with the D90 as I can with the D3100. (I'm aware that the D90 does 720p as opposed to 1080p, not a big deal)

Thanks in advance!!

Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8-4
Nikon 100mm f/2.8 Series E
Nikon 70-210mm f/4 Series E
Nikon SB-600
Lowepro Fastpack 250

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:41 am 

The D3100 is better for video - the D90 was the first implementation of DSLR video for Nikon (or anyone - just). It has improved since then.

I'd consider selling the 50 and getting the later one with the focus motor.

By the way, you can't use the lense's aperture control on the D90, so the control functionality of the D lens is the samje as its replacement on that camera.

If you want better control, go for the D7000.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:56 am 

The D3100 would probably be better (quality wise) than a D90 for video. The D3100 shoots full 1080p, while the D90's stuck at 720, and although the D90 offers better control, you final result would probably be better on the D3100. The D7000 would be the compromise between the two, it would offer the D90's control, and even better IQ (image quality) than the D3100. If you're mainly doing video, AF shouldn't matter to you so much, so I don't see the reason of needing the built in AF motor (if you do need the AF, perhaps just sell the old 50 and buy the newer AF-S version).

In summary, if you want the control and quality, save up and go for the D7000, but if you can live without the extra control then perhaps just sell your 50mm, and replace it with the newer version that will AF.

And by the way, you should have all of the manual controls on the D90.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams