Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Entry level DSLR cameras
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:08 am 
I am quite stuck on choosing my first DSLR camera. I do have three in mind (Nikon d3100, Canon 550D, or Pentax K-r) Interested in portrait photos, landscapes..

:?:

Cameras in my country are very expensive. $900 starting price for any entry-level dslr camera. So keeping price in mind.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:27 am 

As said to others before, anybody can tell you one camera is "better" than another but the problem is that one size DOES NOT fit all. Try all three cameras out - feel them, hold them and navigate through their menus - if possible. Once you've got an actual feel of them all, you'll probably find it much easier to decide as the camera you feel most comfortable with is usually the one you'll make the most use out of, both timewise and in terms of your investment.

Unless you have a specific requirement for a particular feature in one camera that's absent in another, you can't really go wrong with any entry-level DSLR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:44 am 
Yeah you're right! Thanks for the wise advice :) Nz is just way overpriced :( sucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:10 am 
My take on this is not to focus so much on the individual cameras but on the support and service you'll receive afterwards

All are great cameras and will do what you need them to do

But how is the brand supported in your region? What do shops you like sell? What do your friends have? (I've borrowed lenses twice already having only had my camera a few months)

Its a bit like ipods, there are better mp3 players out there but because of the gravity ipod has achieved even buying a simple thing like a soft cover is easy for my ipod but nigh on impossible with other brands of mp3 player I had before I finally gave in and brought an ipod

Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:44 am 
If you think your country has overpriced cameras,you should read about Romanian prices! Up to 40% more added value for Canon products.

I recommand the Nikon D3100 & a 35mm F/1.8.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:08 pm 

Quote:
I recommand the Nikon D3100 & a 35mm F/1.8.

Is there any basis to that recommendation (the body)? I don't think any one of the three is comprehensively better than the others though the availability of lenses for the Pentax may present a problem.

I'm not saying it couldn't possibly be the case but you appear to assume that the OP will prefer the feel of the Nikon over the alternatives regardless of an other consideration. They may save a few bucks if the D3100 is cheaper than the alternatives but what good is that if they feel frustrated with it for whatever reason?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:17 am 

I'd go for the D3100 just because of the 35mm f/1.8, it's truly an outstanding lens, I keep it mounted on my D7000 most of the time. The only time that I need my 16-85 is when I need the 85mm or the 16mm, the 35 seems to do a good job getting everything in between.

Whatever system you end up with, definitely invest in some prime lenses. They'll help you become a better photographer, because instead of zooming in or out, you'll actually have to get closer/farther from your subject.

Regarding brand, ergonomics is the most important thing to consider. Go to the local camera store and try each camera out, whichever feels the best in your hands should be the one that you go for. I personally like the feel of the Nikons in my hand, but it may be completely different for you.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:51 am 

>Whatever system you end up with, definitely invest in some prime lenses. They'll help you become a better photographer, because instead of zooming in or out, you'll actually have to get closer/farther from your subject.

Why is that? What is the difference btwn zooming in/out and getting closer/farther that one will make you a better photographer?

I'd like to be better and I really want to know the thought behind that idea.

Thanks.

Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:40 am 

EvanK wrote:
Whatever system you end up with, definitely invest in some prime lenses. They'll help you become a better photographer, because instead of zooming in or out, you'll actually have to get closer/farther from your subject.

I disagree. You may simply end up trying something different from what you'd do with a zoom and that's it. But still...It's not like primes are the holy grail in photography or something :roll:...

I don't really get the point of becoming a "better" photographer, just because you'd be getting closer or farther from your subject :?.

My photos on Flickr...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:46 am 
I can only recommend what I know based on my own experience.

Earlier in the year I brought a Canon 550D with an 18 to 135 kit lens and its been brilliant.

Based on my experince I'd recommend folks to consider what cameras their friends have got.there have so far been several instances of swapping/borrowing lenses and flashes with Canon friends of mine. Their experience has also been super handy when it comes to problem solving.

The reason I plumped for the 550D was because of its video capabilities and specifically it has an audio in port. Funnily enough I havent used it as yet but there is a plan too.

I would have brought a 7D based on the by well buy once maxim but the body is too big to fit in the waterproof case I use every now and then.

Any of the bodies with kit lenses will be spot on for you to start off with. Once you start taking photos a lot you'll find things you like to shoot and this may lead you off in a particular kit direction too. Unless you have a crystal ball dont worry about it.

I'm in love with my recently purchased 30mm fixed focus lens but would recommend anyone to get one as their first/only lens. The kit lenses will be perfect to learn with and by the time you need to you'll know whats next for you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:05 am 

I live in Sydney and Canberra - so Im familiar with NZ prices cause I traveled there a few times.

If I were you, Id look at all the lenses avaliable too - and see who can stock the ones you might like to get later on, and their prices and what you might need.

I chose Olympus because I wanted kit lenses at the time and didnt want the ones nikon and canon offered.... Now that Im moving up to semi pro, I wanted the lenses Canon offered so I chose the most appropriate body to go with the lenses I have planned in my head to get.

IMO - I recomend looking through gordons reviews on lenses as much as the bodies you are looking at too.

Hope that helps.

4) Leica M [50mm Summicron Pre-aspherical - Silver]

http://www.poetproductions.net