Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:35 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:06 pm 
Ok so I took the plunge and signed up!
This post is really just so I can get the topic updates :D

Some really nice shots here - I love the one of the British Museum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:13 pm 
Thank you Jazz. I have to return the compliment on your moody photo; I can already imagine the tranquility of your scene. I don't know if it's too late, but you could boost your composition by removing the bottom inch or so of your frame so that the puddle moves closer to the foreground for interest. That, for me, would be a very very strong image.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:24 pm 
Something like this? I think you're right, it does make it more interesting, draws your eye to the puddles. Thanks!
I think its too late to change the entry though - isn't there a rule that once is entered you cant change your mind?
Jazz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:26 pm 
Fantastic! I'm glad you agree. For strong landscape composition, don't forget the foreground. It took me a while to understand that, and now I make sure there's almost always something near and far for my eye to wander on.

As for your entry, I'm not sure. Best ask one of the moderators or Gordon. It's essentially the same image, but recomposed...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:30 am 

Listen here, Jazz. One is enough for you, Mister. Gosh dang me. I am struggling with this..Drazen..The bar is so high, I can hardly touch..Good to meet you Jazz, and Zrimi..outstanding submissions...it is sure going to be hard to vote.

I know that there are other lurkers out there, just biding their time...
and plotting their photos...I sure do like this On Assignment for this month
thank you Luis, and Drazen.
patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:42 am 
patti wrote:
I know that there are other lurkers out there, just biding their time...
and plotting their photos...
patti

.......hehehehehehe.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:47 am 
Hey everyone :)

I'm very impressed as well with the submissions so far. Everyone has brought some very unique, diversified and beautiful shots.
I'd love to participate this month as well since I haven't the last one, but I'm finding it hard to make time to get out there, and get a good shot as this month is very busy and hectic. Hopefully mine will show up towards the end of February :) (and I hope it will be up to the challenge)
And patti, don't you worry as I've seen good potential in your shot for last month's assignment. :wink: good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:14 am 

oh stop already...and not an f stop, either. I was lucky to be in such good company, and encouraged by this rowdy group...NOW, Andy, I am stuck, but getting unstuck soon...lol..thank you for the kind words..you will find a great mix of "correct" photographers here, and also some push the envelope types. A great mix.
I expect you to submit a photo. In fact, I am waiting....I am not letting you off the hook...lol..just go outside, and turn around and snap one of your house...that works..Taking photos is like a kiss...if it is right it takes your breath away, and if it is not so great, well, it was still a good thought.

Consider this as "Pressure On".

What are you laughin at Big Pix...(he he he) ! I know you are up to something...knowin you, it will be spectacular.
And I love it.
Bring it.
I forgot this is the shortest month...oh nooooooooooooooooooo.

patti

Last edited by patti on Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:07 am 
Site Admin

Hi Jazz, I'd love to cut some slack to a new member, but rules are rules! Once you've submitted an image to the Assignment, you have to stick with it - sorry!

If it makes you feel any better though, I think you've got a great shot there!

Welcome on-board by the way!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:00 am 
Ech..spending hours in the rain, futilely trying to get a "human interest" shot during the annual Chinese New years parade - celebrating the advent of The Year of The Rat - near Shanghai Alley in Vancouver, I ended up with..well..photographic detritus!

And you guys are not helping either, submitting such great shots!!!! The level is really, really high this time - time is running out - and all we get around here is rain and gunmetal gray skies!!!

All I need is for Gordon to announce - as a special surprise - that next months' theme will be astro photography, after admiring cybermystics' images and getting nearly teary eyed at their celestial beauty.

So, patti, you're not alone..lol.

Anyway, besides hopefully amusing everyone with my laments, I just want to say that I am really impressed with all the submissions for this months' theme. I'm no expert, but I know what I like and you guys' stuff is good!
Whether I succeed or not in getting a good shot is beside the point - your examples propel me to greater efforts :-)

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:45 am 
Hey Jazz,

I like the overall composition of your submission, but even with 30 seconds shutter-open its kinda dim. (Gosh I cant imagine how dark the surroundings were when Jazz pressed the shutter release) Maybe you should have put one stop brighter in EV.
That or brighten it up with Photoshop :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:30 pm 
Gordon Laing wrote:
Hi Jazz, I'd love to cut some slack to a new member, but rules are rules! Once you've submitted an image to the Assignment, you have to stick with it - sorry!

If it makes you feel any better though, I think you've got a great shot there!

Welcome on-board by the way!

And rules are not to be broken - I thought that would be the case, no worries! (I Re-read the sticky thread on the rules last night).
I might go out to that spot again if the moons out tonight. Might wrap up warmer this time... :?

SCREAMnSHOUT - it was pitch black! Not done much night photography so i'm still just experimenting...

So much to learn! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:23 pm 
Just back from a six day holiday, lots ot catch up on.

Love all the submissions so far...........the competition if fierce :?

I am hoping to get out this weekend and take my shot, I know just where to go. It would have been nice to use my new 40D ( still not arrived, in the post somewhere :( )

Cheers Ormina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:03 pm 

yay! I am glad you are home...
did you see that Big Pix made a flower for your Valentines present...
it is beautiful..
still no camera? sheesh.

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:43 pm 
Site Admin

Jazz, you've got a really good shot there - it's quite a technical challenge to do what you've done and I love the way the landscape is illuminated by the moon and you've captured stars too.

I don't think it needs brightening, but if you (or anyone emulating it) did want it lighter you'd have three choices:

1: Open the aperture wider if it isn't already fully open (smallest f number)

2: Use a longer exposure, but you'd need a cable release for more than 30 secs on most cameras - and watch out for star trails!

3: Use a higher sensitivity - a bigger ISO number - but beware as you increase this, the quality goes down...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next