Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Advise on a upgrade
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:56 pm 

Hi
I am a newby to the site , and I would like some views on my dilemma .
I have a Nikon d2xs which I love the pro body , vertical grip etc.
I am poss looking for a change , I can't stretch to a d3 so I have a choice of a d300s or poss with a little extra saving a d700.
Is it worth the upgrade and would I really see a advantage over my d2xs.
These are better spec on paper but is it worth the extra money????
So what do you think people???
Thank you for your time
Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:16 pm 

Welcome to the forums mate!

I think i'm kind of qualified to answer here, as I own both a Nikon D2H, and a Nikon D90 (the latter having the same sensor as the D300, and producing the same imagequality).

Now, the D2H and D2X produce a bit different files, mine having better noise performance, yours producing cleaner files at base ISO. Personally, I don't care as much for imagequality as I do for build quality and ergonomics. I use the two cameras side by side and I notice I prefer the pro D2H body over the D90, every time, even if it's a slight compromise in quality.

So my advice is: keep it. perhaps invest in a better lens (which can also help with lowlight performance for instance), or save up for a D3. Fat chance a Dx00 won't satisfy you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:52 pm 

After a quick search, I can't believe the D2xs came out about the same time as my D80. The D2xs looks a great camera and seems to me worth keeping, as I am still super happy my D80.
As always I guess it all depends on cost and whether you have spare funds to upgrade.
Good luck

John :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:01 pm 

Hello Jason, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
To enjoy your stay here please have a look at the house-rules!
----
As to your question: I'd focus on lenses: Is your collection of lenses FX-ready? If so you have two options imho: save up for the D700 or wait for its successor (which will certainly be even more expensive). The D300(s) is almost outdated as the D7000 clearly shows what the latest sensor and processing technology from Nikon can do. That would also be my recommended alternative: The D7000.
But really: You have to decide at one point whether you're aiming at FX or are content with DX.

Post subject: Up grade advise
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:01 pm 

Hi
Thank you for the response so far.
This may sound silly but, how do I know if my lens are fx ready??
I think I will wait for the d3 or newer models , or if the d700 goes down in price??
Does any body know when the Nikon d400 or d700s or d800 may be realised ??
Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:09 pm 

Jason,

You can see if your lenses are FX lenses or not by visiting Nikon's Website and look for your lenses. http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/product/nikkor-lenses

I currently own a D7000 but I plan on purchasing FX lenses so when the new Nikon Full Frame bodies are announced hopefully I can pick up a D3s for less than full retail price. I currently own a Nikkor 24-70mm lens and I hope to pickup a 14-24mm and 70-200mm soon (I just have to save up for those nice lenses). :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dadude122