Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:53 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:33 pm 

If all works out on Friday I will be on a mountain top. I will probably be there around noon when sun will (in therory) be right over my head.

I haven't used filters much but everything I have read about polarizers are to use with water reflections and when the sun is at 90-deg's to the camera. Now in therory if the sun is right over head, that would put it at 90-deg's no matter the direction I face. Will this be a time for me to pull the polarizer out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:30 am 

Hi HikingMike,

Any time is good for a polarizer, for a number of good reasons, but yes - a high overhead bright sun can certainly warrant a polarizer.

I'm assuming here that you are mainly concerned about the sky and are worried about the dreaded "banding" whereby parts of the sky seems well polarized and other parts less so.

This is more likely to occur the wider the angle of your lens - i.e wide-angles like the Sigma 10-20, Tokina 11-16/12-24 etc. are more prone to this, because they take in light from such a wide range of angles.

I'd say give it a shot and develop your own feel for things and see if you like what it does for your images.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:05 am 

Mike, I thought you were in Alaska? The sun never gets to 90 degrees there, only within the tropics does it every get directly over head.

Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 with 496 Ball Head. Gorilla Pod SLR
Canon Powershot A720IS with CHDK and intervalometer script. Pentax Optio W90

My Blog - http://www.ianganderton.wordpress.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:36 am 

Thanks LahLahSr, I will be probably be shooting between 35mm to 50mm. I was some what concerned about banding. This may no be the right thought but I was also a little worried about thinner air allowing for a brighter sun.

Quote:
Mike, I thought you were in Alaska? The sun never gets to 90 degrees there, only within the tropics does it every get directly over head.

Yeah, that's why I said "in theory" :D I know it is not possible to get a perfect 90-deg but that sun on a bright clear Alaska day can be brighter than some people expect

If the weather holds I should have plenty of time so I may try a little of both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:52 am 

Quote:
I know it is not possible to get a perfect 90-deg but that sun on a bright clear Alaska day can be brighter than some people expect

I agree completely, I live pretty damn close to the tropic of Cancer and we have all sorts of problems with clarity of air. Humidity and dust cause a constant haze. I've found places with clearer air mean much greater risk of sun burn even if they are a long way from the tropics.

Your air should be pretty free of dust and humidity so air quality should be verging on excellent most of the time.

In 2009 I went to Lake Tittikaka and was staggered by the quality of the air. Its the first time I've ever noticed the air 'sparkle'. High altitude thin air, lack of pollution and very low humidity cause this I think. My group got really badly sunburnt that morning, it caught everyone out.

I know dubaiphil and myself are very jealous of your clear bright days, we get hot hazy and sweaty atm :roll:

Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 with 496 Ball Head. Gorilla Pod SLR
Canon Powershot A720IS with CHDK and intervalometer script. Pentax Optio W90

My Blog - http://www.ianganderton.wordpress.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:59 am 

Tell me about it!

I'll be slap bang in the middle of the Indian Ocean in a few days, right on the equator. Can't wait for blue skies and high visibility! Still, at least the dust and atmospherics in the Middle East stops me thinking of a 300 or 400 f2.8 - there's just no point here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:50 pm 

:D Yeah, when it is a clear day here in Alaska in is heaven. Gonna miss it when I leave in Nov to El Paso, TX :cry: I'm sure the air quality will be just peachy...not