Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Battery Grips
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:13 am 

I've been looking at a few battery grips for my D7000, as I'd like the ability to keep extra batteries in the camera, plus the ability to shoot in portrait easily.

Anyways, I've taken a look at the Nikon version, but the hefty $300 price tag is a bit of a turn off. I've noticed that there are also some 3rd party after market versions, from Meike or Zeikos, selling for a fraction of the price. From what I've read, the 3rd party versions essentially offer everything that the original Nikon version offers, but there are a few things that concern me:

The 3rd party options are generally made of plastic, while the Nikon version is made of the higher-quality magnesium alloy. I'm worried that it may crack or snap if I drop it. I've also heard that the rubber finish sometimes peels off, or the buttons feel cheap and fragile.

I've read some complaints about battery drainage in the 3rd party grips. For example, the battery in the grip doesn't hold its charge, or shows 0% for the remaining power. Can anybody confirm this?

I'm also a bit concerned that some grips have reversed controls. Some people have complained that when you spin one of the control dials in a certain direction, the setting designated to that dial does the opposite. For instance, if I were to turn the front dial to change the aperture to the left, the aperture would close when it's supposed to open. Does anyone have this problem with their grip?

So, would you recommend a 3rd party grip? Which one would you go for? I tried out the genuine Nikon version at the local camera store, and it certainly felt nice in my hands. How do the cheaper options compare?

Thanks,
-Evan

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:28 am 

I'll have to look at the brand but I'm using 3rd party for my Canon. I've had no problems but I'm not a professional so if I have an issue it won't hurt my feelings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:40 am 

I use a Meike battery grip with my 550D (I've had it for more than six months) and I'm glad I didn't spend three times as much for the Canon-branded one as I can't imagine the latter being worth the premium.

It fits flush with the body, the colour matches quite well and it is reasonably sturdy for a plastic finish.

I haven't noticed any problems with battery drainage either and was able to take more than 1,000 pictures (1 Canon and 1 Energizer battery in the grip) and I still haven't had to charge it.

Apart from not having an ISO button, the controls on the grip are very similar in terms of layout though they don't feel as solid but I don't fear they'll break any time soon.

CSCs: Panasonic DMC-GF3
Lenses: Panasonic Lumix G 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:09 am 

Hi Evan. I have also been thinking about one (definately a `want` rather than a `need`though) & was quite surprised at the prices if i'm honest.

Even if you decided to buy the Nikon, i'd be careful about purchasing via the net. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV_rxL3UV-g

Also I thought the idea was to be able to easily put 2 sets of batteries in for extended shooting? Seems strange you have to disconnect the grip to get the main camera battery out.
(Would it have been better to have the main camera battery compartment on the side of the camera? :? )

Post subject: Re: Battery Grips
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:52 pm 

Hi - I'm using a 3rd party battery grip for my Canon EOS 500D for two years now. It's OK, it does it's job and I'm happy it was quite a lot cheaper than the original one, but...

EvanK wrote:
I'm worried that it may crack or snap if I drop it. I've also heard that the rubber finish sometimes peels off, or the buttons feel cheap and fragile.

the rubber finish peels off and the shutter button broke and fell off. No other cracks. :lol:
The rubber is no problem - a bit glue under it and it will do the job. I'm just sad about the shutter button (It was OK for about 1 3/4 years of heavy usage). It still works, it just feels strange pushing a little stick instead of a button.
If I buy a more expensive camera I'll go for an original grip.

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:10 pm 

My D3100 detected a third party battery and wouldn't accept it, powered it but wouldn't let me take any photo's telling me on the LCD that it wasn't supported. for that reason I got a Nikon spare for my D7000 so If your going to get a third party battery grip be careful it doesn't use the same method to detect the grip and disappointing you. That being said if you do get a third party one let me know if it works :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:34 am 

Thanks for the replies,

Has anybody had any trouble with the dials being reversed? That's one of my main concerns, as I've read online that many people have had 3rd party grips where the controls are reversed.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:49 pm 

Mine is a Meike, and no, my dials are not reversed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:20 pm 

No reversed dials here either.

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:54 pm 

HikingMike wrote:
Mine is a Meike, and no, my dials are not reversed.

Same with me for what it's worth.

CSCs: Panasonic DMC-GF3
Lenses: Panasonic Lumix G 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:14 am 

Of course, you're all Canon users. Do we have any D7000 or Nikon users in general that have the dials reversed?

- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:19 am 

Evan, most Nikons have a setting to reverse the dials. On my D90 (custom settings menu) it's option F5 "function command dials" (translated from Dutch). You can choose to change which way they should rotate, or you could swap out their function entirely (like use the front dial for shutter speed, instead of aperture).

You can't set it independently for the battery grip, though. My Hahnel grip has no issue with this, can't speak for other brands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:31 pm 

Thanks, guys.

Quote:
Evan, most Nikons have a setting to reverse the dials

Yes, but if I reverse the grip's controls to make them correct, then the body's would be reversed. Oh well, I'll make sure to find a copy that doesn't have the issue.

- Ansel Adams