Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:04 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Question About D60
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:17 am 
Hi,

I'm using a nikon D60 with 18-200 AF-S

I was wondering if anyone could help me?

I was taking photos last night in Apeture Priority Mode. I was indoors and using the pop up flash. But for some reason when I pressed the shutter the camera disnt fire for 1 or 2 seconds?

I tried chaning from RAW to Jpeg, this didnt change anything.

I also changed for AF to manual Focus, this didnt work either?

I switched to auto mode, and portrait mode. this made the camera fire instantly as I wanted.

I dont understand why this is happening in Apeture Priority Mode? Can anyone shed light on it?

thanks,
Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:19 am 

Don't know the D60 myself but have you got the camera in a mode where the shutter only trips when focus is found? It might be hunting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:10 am 

Couple of things spring to mind:

1) The flash needs to charge up - this will usually lead to a pause which can sometimes feel a very long time!

2) The AF may have been struggling in the dark - have you got your AF-Illuminator (the lamp on the front of the camera) turned on - you can do this in your camera settings menu. I know you said you turned off AF but it may have been a factor when AF was turned on,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/michdung/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:25 pm 
Compare the EXIF data and see, if perhaps, that will give you your answer about the delay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:04 pm 

indoors, using a flash? Well, I'd guess that the camera was hunting for focus. But if the problem remains with manual focus - i don't know.
Does this problem persist under bright daylight, or if you switch off the flash?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:31 pm 

Entry level cameras often don't release the shutter when they don't have focus confirmation, even if you set it to manual focus.

Make sure the green dot in the left hand corner of your viewfinder is lit (not blinking), then the camera will take the shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:18 am 
Check if your camera was in AF-A, AF-S or AF-C. Even though you were in manual focus mode, this can affect the shooting. In AF-S, it will 'focus trigger', so you set a focus distance, and it will wait until something goes into that range to trigger the shutter. Useful in other circumstances.

This would certainly explain why in the Auto modes it worked just fine.

Post subject: Thanks guys
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:04 pm 
thanks guys I'm going to have a look at this again soon. suggestions appreciated