Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:58 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Epson R220
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:42 am 
I had this printer for a year or so, anyway the printer printed out amazing photo's but eventually I ran out of Ink, so went to the local shop (Curry's)
and the printer cost £62 new, And NEW Ink cost £58.
IT JUST DON'T ADD UP!
so I went to a small computer shop and they had Ink refills that cost £12
and they produce almost the same quality (slightest variation in the colour tone)
The daughter uses it for collage work and printed about 2,000 pages, with a Epson printer after you print so many pages the printer comes up with a warning "your printer requires maintenance". These messages will continue unless you reset the 'Protection Counter', At the cost of £30
Does any other printer come up with this scam? :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:32 am 

One thing to bear in mind about the low cost of a new printer is that, as I understand it, such printers may well include cartridges with significantly less ink than a normal replacement.

I count myself as being blessed by the high price of printer ink. :shock: I hardly ever print anything so I end up buying my printer at a bargain price that is subsidised by all you heavy users, even after factoring in the ink cartridges I end up buying over the lifetime of the printer. :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:53 am 

There are a few printers that link counters to electronics in own brand ink.

The thing is it works both ways if you make a printer and have lots of people complain about quality of prints you have to find a way to control print quality. You can choose to replace every printer under warranty (expensive) or make sure people use ink and cartridges that you have quality control over (your own brand).

Imagine a 3rd party memory card or battery manufacturer produced a faulty product and every camera you used their (cheaper) product in became faulty, it is the camera manufacturers that would be getting lots of warranty repairs not the 3rd party.

Printer manufacturers have also seen the economic model used by mobile phone companies. Give the device away free and charge for the service/consumables and in most cases this is what they have adopted.

http://keystrokesukimages.com