Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:59 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:52 pm 

I thought that a thread like this would've already been made, but I couldn't find one using the search feature.

Today, I was offered a second hand 10.5mm Fisheye lens, for 40% of the original cost. I personally think that it's a good deal, and I'm seriously considering buying it. The seller told me that the glass is in good condition, but I'll inspect it later if I decide to pick it up. It doesn't have the original packaging, though.

So, anyways, what are some things to look out for when buying second hand glass? I know that some of you here often buy second hand, so if you had any tips when it comes to inspecting the lens, that would be great. Also, is this a good deal for the lens? I generally try to get at LEAST less than 50% of the original price when buying used items.

Anyways, thanks for your help in advance.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:25 pm 

I'd say mould/fungus and dust are the key things to look out for (both are usually visible without having to go out of your way to find), especially if the lens is many years old and if it's possible to do so, test the lens on your body.

For a used zoom lens, it's also worth going through all of the focal lengths - I bought a used Canon EF 75-300mm USM III and it worked fine at 75, 100 and 135mm but at 200 or 300mm, an error message kept showing when I fully depressed the shutter button. There was also a metal threshing sound as I turned the ring to adjust the focal length.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:39 am 

I'd add:

Take the front and rear caps off. See if the aperture ring sticks by looking through the rear of the lens and playing.

If its a fisheye (10.5 so I take it it's a Nikkor), then chances are it will be well looked after (i.e. not always thrown in the bag) but check the exposed front element carefully and make sure the lens cap still fits snugly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:41 am 

If you're meeting somewhere 'neutral' for an inspection, take your lens cleaning kit with you as well. The lens might have attracted a little dust so this will help to inspect front and rear elements properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:21 am 

Thanks for all of your replies.

Yes, it is the 10.5 Nikkor fisheye, I'll make sure to check if the glass is clean. The seller did send a pic, but it didn't really show the quality of the glass. I noticed that in the picture, the lens' rear cap was off, if the rear cap was never put on, and the lens was left sitting for long periods of time, would a lot of dust accumulate, affecting the performance?

Thanks

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:47 am 

I personally wouldn't buy a Nikkor fisheye at full price - for my usage I would look second hand, as I balance usage v. cost when deciding on lenses (with the exception of a 200mm f2, which I'm lusting after!). I don't think too much dust would have accumulated, but that would be your call when inspecting.

I wouldn't hesitate in recommending the Samyang 8mm if you're hesitant on this 2nd hand copy. It's manual focus but the fisheye has such a wide depth of field that is not an issue. I picked mine up for $175 and it's a steal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:05 am 

Thanks for the advice.

I was offered the Nikkor for around the same price, a bit more expensive but not too much. I wouldn't want to pay full price either, I couldn't justify spending $800 for something that I'd only use for astrophotography. Besides, spending the smaller amount of money on a second hand product would let me save up for a lens that I'd use more like the 11-16 Tokina.

I wouldn't really want the Samyung, as it's manual focus (I don't know how bad that would be, I'd use the lens probably 95% of the time for astrophotos where autofocus in useless), and its slower aperture is also worse for astrophotos. I'm not sure how the sharpness compares to that of the Nikkor, but the Nikon would also have better value for resale.

- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:46 am 

The Samyang in practice doesn't need focusing for daytime use. The DoF is so insane that stopped down one step to 5.6 you will cover most things unless they're really close. And personally you do need to stop it down, as wide open it isn't that great. For astrophoto use, then it does help to get infinity as sharp as possible. While the resale value might not be much, it doesn't cost you much to get in the first place either.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:02 pm 

Yes - F8+ and it's great bang for the buck - I'd definitely recommend over the 10.5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:30 pm 

I think the Nikkor 10.5mm is a spectacular lens - it has great sharpness, close-focus ability, excellent highlight control/doesn't care if the sun is in the picture and lovely color rendition.

The shape of the front element doesn't allow typical filters so the glass is usually exposed - Cokin has some large filter options that can fit this lens though.

I recommend doing the flashlight test. Bring a strong LED flashlight and shine it through the rear element right into your face - this will help reveal any scratches that you might not otherwise find.

Good luck wit your decision!

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:35 pm 

I'll make sure to do the flashlight test if I end up getting it. Thanks for all the advice!

- Ansel Adams