Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:09 am

All times are UTC

I prefer using the...
manual focusing ring 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
autofocus by pressing the shutter halfway 83%  83%  [ 19 ]
Heck! All my photos are blurry! 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 23
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:15 pm 
Im quite concerned about this matter actually.

Those big shots at National Geographic magazine(pardon the pun) have those beautiful photos where everything but the subject is thrown out of focus.

A communique with Gordon said that 'the manual focusing ring in the Sony A200 is not very good for professional use'(or something similar) and this kinda confused me.

So which is the best way for focusing while throwing distracting stuff into blurry fuzz? If so, whats the advantage of the other way?

Thanks,
SnS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:22 pm 
SCREAMnSHOUT wrote:
A communique with Gordon said that 'the manual focusing ring in the Sony A200 is not very good for professional use'(or something similar) and this kinda confused me.

Hey SnS,

The manual focusing ring is present on lenses, so would not be affected by the camera body. Was Gordon referring to a particular lens?

If not, he may have been talking about the Auto Focus motor built into the body of the A200. Unfortunately, I know very little about the Sony range so perhaps you could be a bit more specific and maybe some A200 owners could comment?

Hope I have been of some use :)

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:08 pm 
Site Admin

Hi SnS, we actually have a workshop on how to achieve this effect here:

Portraits with blurred backgrounds.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:13 am 
Well I know what the work shop is going to say but you need to get a big aperture so the DOF is shallow.

Off-topic: is that girl you are always taking photos of is that someone you work with or is it your Wife/GF? (if thats not too much of a personal question)

Edit ahh sorry that question was actually pointed at gordon, lol. Forgot to put his name at the beginning.

Last edited by marzy on Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:34 am 
marzy wrote:
Off-topic: is that girl you are always taking photos of is that someone you work with or is it your Wife/GF? (if thats not too much of a personal question)

Umm I extremely-rarely take portraits...the first time ever i did was yesterday when I took an informal photo of a classmate to prove to another classmate that nice pictures are possible with 6 megapixels and my digital compact :)

SnS

P.S.: The person who selected "Heck! All my photos are blurry!" in my poll please own up :x ...Thx for giving me a laugh :D I put that option in as a joke and im surprised someone actually voted for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:00 pm 

I actually picked the last one :)
The explanation is that what i prefer to use, depends on the situation. But autofocus is fine in most situations.

Canon EOS 400D + EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF 50mm f/1.8
My Photos - My webpage (danish)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:30 pm 
marzy wrote:
Edit: ahh sorry that question was actually pointed at gordon, lol. Forgot to put his name at the beginning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:46 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Marzy, she's a girl who keeps walking in front of my landscape shots whenever I'm testing cameras...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:28 am 
Gordon Laing wrote:
Hi Marzy, she's a girl who keeps walking in front of my landscape shots whenever I'm testing cameras...

ahahahah you made me laugh right there gordon.. yeah evertime you take those darn landscapes she just pops her head up in the screen.. sneeky. :shock: :P :lol: