Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Photography Pay
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:01 pm 
About two weeks ago, I did some free work for a local band that's looking to get some exposure. They initially specified that they wouldn't be able to pay me for the time that I did at the show, but since I took some "really awesome" photos (their words, not mine) for them, they've decided that they want to use the photos for some posters and their website and this magazine article. I'm all for them using my work for all of these different purposes, but I wanted to know what I have to do to be fairly compensated. I don't want to rob them, because they are funded out-of-pocket by the band members, but I also want to make SOME money if they are using them for these different things. I would also like to keep the rights to the photos.

WHAT DO I DO??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:54 am 

To be honest, I dont think you can expect anyone here to tell you how much you should charge, thats up to you to decide what you think they are worth?

Magazine use, magazine pays.
Poster use, promoter pays.

My point of view would be, the band are starting out, your are starting out, come to an agreement that suits you both.

Copyright would remain with you anyway, unless you give it away! Do a search for a draft copyright agreement, there are plenty available.

HTH

http://www.alanwilliamsphotography.co.uk
BLOG: http://www.ayrshireweddingphotographer.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:13 pm 

Ask them what they earn on average each gig. With that, I think you can both come to a fair price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:48 pm 

You have lots of options and it really depends how you want to take things forward.

If you think the band may become popular you could make them sign you as their official photographer then anyone using shots of the band has to pay you a commission. You may think it was fun to do the one off shoot but I do not want to be involved in future events so you would ask for a single usage payment i.e they can use the shots on the poster (the magazine will have to negotiate it's own rate with you).

Whatever your final agreement is with the band make sure you get everything in writing so that both sides are happy with the arrangement and cannot change their mind in the future without further negotiation.

http://keystrokesukimages.com