Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:00 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:51 pm 
Hi Gordon, good day. May i solicit for your expert advice on the proper and best calibration values for AF Fine Tuning on the Nikon AF_S DX 18-200 VRII? Many thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:58 am 

Hi XCALIBUR, welcome to the forum, I have not fine tuned my lens and to my eye the photos are fine, perhaps someone with experience on fine tuning will respond. It may help to mention what model camera you use.

What do you think is wrong with the focus? Like you I'll be looking forward to the responses

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:28 pm 
Thanks for the warm welcome 4xxxx, as a newbie to the DSLR world and being the D7000 is my first giant leap from my old Sony HX-1 bridge camera, I could not see anything wrong with the pictures it is producing. Before I bought the D7000 though, I was looking over David's review with the camera and he mentioned about back focusing which could be corrected with AF Fine Tuning of -5 to -10. But the D7000 review was mounted with a 18-105 lens. This is the reason why I am asking anyone here for advice if the -5 to -10 AF Fine Tuning would also be best on the 18-200 lens.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:33 am 
Fyi to all who has similar set-up as mine: NikonD7000 w/ AF-S DX 18-200mm VRII. After taking shots of a value of 5 increments from -20 to +20, I have come to the conclusion that the 0(zero) AF Fine Tuning Value is the sharpest setting It could produce. At -10 and -5, the image are clear but detail was not as sharp as compared to 0(zero). The +5 to +20 just totally lost all sharpness and detail. But bear in mind, as per advice of Gordon Laing our DSLR Zen Master, you could have the same set up as what i have, but each value differs. You have to do a calibration test yourself on your gear to achieve the sharpest image with your set-up. Thanks for the advice Gordon and more power!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:47 am 

Interesting result, thanks for the feedback.

Cheers