Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:56 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:49 am 
Been reading a few of the 'which camera' discussions and the advice generally given by members here is to go and play with the cameras shortlisted in a shop and to buy the camera that feels right in your hands.

I agree with this to a point

but

I'm wondering how much the members here feel the brand should be taken into account.

I've recently brought my first DSLR. I had a short list of midrange cameras to choose between but it felt like I was making a longer term choice too, the brand choice.

The camera I've brought wont last forever however the accessories will probably outlast the body. If and when I upgrade my camera body compatibility will be an issue particularly if I've invested any significant amount of cash in lenses.

There is also the issue of availability of accessories/spares/repairs.

And then I also took into account the possibility of borrowing/swaping/exchanging between my collegues and friends.

When I brought my camera it felt like I was really making my one time choice in brand more than the actual body. The next time I buy a body I'm stuck with Canon in reality.

Once you've made your choice your going to invest time and money not just in kit but also in learning the brand's system/menu's/software etc.

As a newbie my decision making went something like this:

It seemed to me that Canon and Nikon had 80% of the market and with that came the access to accessories/spares/repairs. I didnt look at Sony, Panasonic or any other brand as they just didnt seem to have the same backup in this respect.

It seemed that more of my friends/collegues had Canon than anything else.

The Canon 550D and 7D seem to have become industry standard for video and this is something I'm keen to explore at some point. It was a simple thing to do with having a sound input jack as much as anything else!

The 550D is smaller and will fit in a Pelicase 1200 which will fit in a kayak relatively simply.

I did mess,in the stores, with different Canon and Nikon cameras but tbh I didnt really know what I was looking at. Both seemed to have the "GO" button in the same place and everything else was just mind boggling.

So to answer my own question I obviously think its very important but only time will tell if I've made the right long term decision.

So far I have borrowed friends lenses a few times and because I'm out here in the sandpit that is the UAE it is fact that Canon and Nikon are much better supported than other brands.

I havent messed with video yet and I havent got hold of a 1200 Pelicase either (distributor here has stopped bringing the brand in)

I'm now getting to grips with my camera but have only really scratched the surface of what its capable of.

The question I'd like to ask the members here is what are the key advantages and disadvantages of the main brands that get discussed on this board. What brand would you recommend to what people immaterial of the technical specifications of any camera currently available.

For instance I'd recommend (and have done) to folks only to bother to look at Canon or Nikon because they both have the full range of cameras to choose from and a line to upgrade through to the highest specification full pro and semi pro models. Looking at other brands makes and already confusing choice unnecessarily hard.

What are your thoughts folks?

Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:24 am 

As with all sorts of products when they are working the brand makes little difference. However what support you get when things go wrong or you want to contact the manufacturer is where more established names tend to have the advantage.

How often does a camera manufacturer have to update software for your product so it will work with the latest version of a computer operating system, will they release firmware updates when they find bugs in previous releases. These are areas you may want to consider or you can take the view that you will save money and only expect a certain amount of support and life span from the product you buy.

If you are happy with the form and function of a particular brand then it may well be the right choice for you.

http://keystrokesukimages.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:54 pm 

I personally look at each individual's needs, shooting requirements, and knowledge, and recommend the best camera to fulfill their needs regardless of brand name. I know that no two photographers are alike in their shooting styles and particular needs, and there simply is no one brand, or even two, that can suit every person perfectly.

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg