Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:03 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:15 am 
hi friends :)

i will be buying my 1st DSLR camera this week, i have shortlisted 2 of them...

Canon eos 550D

&

Nikon D5100

plz help me to select which one to go for ...

and why yu think it will be better for me than the oder one ?

plz reply .. will be waiting !

thanku you :)

:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:39 am 
First things first, welcome to the forum, but you're going to need to reduce the size of your avatar before the mods come along.

The truth is, both cameras are decent, and the only way to tell between them is to go to and store and try them both out. This way you can see which one is most comfortable in the hands and that one is for you.

You cant go wrong with either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:32 am 

I couldn't agree more with Jeremy - you can't go wrong with either camera. You just need to decide which feels the most comfortable in your hands and that one will probably be the one you'll make the most use of, justifying your investment more and letting you hone your skills better.

A Canon fanboy could say the 550D is better because of its higher pixel count and its arguably more navigable menu while a Nikon fanboy may tell you the D5100 is better because of its articulated screen, its larger sensor and its higher number of autofocus points. The truth is that they're showing nothing more than a self-serving interest in you joining their camp with little consideration of what YOU need and will make use of with the camera. The other problem with their argument of superior features is that those features may have little benefit in the real world depending on how you use and configure your camera.

CSCs: Panasonic DMC-GF3
Lenses: Panasonic Lumix G 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:43 pm 
@jeremy thanks for sayin abt avatar size lol sorry :lol:

actually i m new here :) dats y dnt knw ...

@Rorschach and jeremy - thanku very much for da reply :)

bt here da thing is dat, da shopkeeper doesnt have any of these cameras ryt now...

he told me to give him a confirmation which camera i want with half the money on advance, then he will go bring me dat camera ... :cry: :cry:

i m living quite far from a big camera store .. thats the problem :?

i dnt knw wat to do now ...!!

but i heard 550D is great for videos ? is it ?

but D5100 got articulated screen :D ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:21 pm 

The 550D can make fantastic videos for the money but it takes skill, time and practice. The D5100 is no slouch in the video department either and it does have some advantages over the 550D in terms of colour presets and full-time autofocus though it doesn't work brilliantly but at least it has that feature.

Is there any sort of consumer electronics store near where you live? Considering how much money you're investing (not just for the camera [and kit lens] but also on lenses and other accessories), you really should do your utmost to try both out before buying. It sounds drastic but the expense of travelling to try both cameras may be worth it as you'll have peace of mind.

CSCs: Panasonic DMC-GF3
Lenses: Panasonic Lumix G 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:36 pm 

Depending on what you want to shoot, you could look at a MILC (mirrorless interchangeable lens camera).

These do have usable autofocus while capturing video :).

My photos on Flickr...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:25 pm 
In the situation you are in then, maybe try a friend's camera? Do you know anybody with a DSLR? Any Canon or Nikon camera is quite similar, so you can get a feel for the company.

What Id do is have a look at what each company offers. Even into the semi pro line, that is after all what you'll be upgrading to eventually. Look into the lens selections. See if any company offers something you might find useful.

For example, Nikon has the amazing 35mm f1.8, but then Canon has battery grips for lower end cameras. Nikon prioritises on ISO, Canon on resolution. Etc etc

Like I said before, you cant go wrong :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:46 pm 
Thanku you everyone :)

for your precious comments ...

today i went to a MALL after 2hrs travellin ..

dre i hold both da cameras ...

and i like da grip of 550D over D5100 ..

may b i will go wid 550D :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:49 pm 

why do people have to speak text speak lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:25 pm 
Finally i went for Canon Eos 550D Smile

and i m very happy wid it Smile

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:28 pm 

Enjoy your 550D, it's an excellent choice! Now it's time to buy some more lenses! :wink:

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams