Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:00 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:44 pm 

A well meant gift of an "aerosol duster" has me wondering. Are these things safe for cameras? Does the propellant leave residues? Is the blast too powerful, or even capable of doing damage? My inclination is to stay with the conventional puffer. Advice welcome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:57 am 

good question, but got no idea.

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:57 am 

Hi Brian,

I haven't used one of these cans for a long time now (er, years!), so some of what I say may be wrong but from what I remember when I used them last:-

Does the propellant leave residues? - The can stated that it should be used upright and I'm sure "something other than air" did come out once when I used it on it's side.

Is the blast too powerful or even capable of doing damage? - It could be, there were warnings about where you pointed the nozzle as it could damage sensitive/moving parts, although some of the newer ones that I have seen use a trigger mechanism that gives better control of the release of air.

So, if you're careful where and how you use it, there should be no problem, but as you say, I have stayed with with my Giottos Rocket blower.

Hope it helps.........

Pentax k-30 and k-x with DAL 18-55mm and DAL 55-300mm, Tamron 18-50mm and Camera Labs Straps.....hang on, where's my towel?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:00 pm 
I've never used one for my own gear, but isnt that what they use to clean lenses and sensors in second hand gear shops?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:45 pm 

Never shake the cans before use as this will cause the air to become extremely chilled and could cause problems like cracking glass.

I personally would not use them on a sensor, wet wipes all the way.