Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:37 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:28 pm 
Hi all,

I currently have a D7000 with a 50mm F1.8G, 18-105mm, and 55-200mm lens.

I absolutely love the 50mm 1.8G and it lives on my camera most of the time but now I am finding more often I am needing a nice lens for wider shots.

The 18-105 is OK but I have never been a huge fan of it, it gets horrible distortion at the wide end and the slow aperture is not really that appealing. Also, the photos taken with it arent as sharp as I'd hoped. This is the lens I am wanting to replace.

I have considered the following options:

1. Nikon 35mm F1.8 - Nice and sharp prime lens but means I need to keep my 18-105mm. The 35mm is a lot wider than the 50, but I still need to go down to the 17-18mm region.

2. Nikon 16-85mm - Nice optics and fantastic focal range. Slow aperture and really expensive for a general purpose lens.

3. Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 - Good focal length and great optics. Constant F2.8 would be a bonus too. Fairly expensive and Sigmas QA issues are a concern.

4. Sigma 17-70 OS HSM - Good focal length with an OK aperture. Sharpness and QA might be a problem?

What are peoples thoughts? I have tried the Tamron 17-50 vc and non vc and hated them. Slow noisy autofocus and terrible back focusing on the VC model.

The Nikon 17-55 is out of the question too.. I cant justify the cost of that lens vs its performance.

Is there another lens out there that I havent thought of yet?

Thanks

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:05 pm 
Id get the Sigma 17-50 f2.8, especially if you mean the stabilised version.

For about the same price though, if you could find a good deal or a used Sigma 10-20mm and then a Nikon 35mm f1.8, that would be awesome IMHO. Maybe OTT if you dont want an ultrawide.

Jeremy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:04 am 
I think the sigma 17-50 is going to win, I just hope I get a good one and not a lemon.

I like the idea of the 10-22 plus the 35mm f1.8... Only problem is that I dont want to increase the number of lenses that I own

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:27 pm 
I have the first two lenses from your list.
Several times I was thinking to sell my 16-85mm, but every time I reconsider. It is extremely sharp lens from 16 up to about 70mm. I compared directly to 10-24mm in the 16-24mm range and it is superb in times! At 16mm is almost as sharp as Tokina 11-16mm. At 70mm is comparable with 70-200mm 2.8 VRII, but quickly after that become soft.
16-85mm gives you ideal range for almost everything except the tele-zoom.
The only problem with the lens is that goes to f/5.6 very quickly. For me it is ideal walk around lens, because I usually "walk around" during the day. For night shots I have the Tokina 11-16mm and the two Nikon primes 35mm 1.8 and 50mm 1.4.
Jeremy1302's advice is good - the new Sigma seems to be very sharp lens AND has IS. The only problem with it (I think) is that you'll miss the "portrait" range.
About the primes, I have 35, 50 and 105mm. First I used 35mm a lot - it's truly amazing lens, but with the time I found it boring (according to my style of shooting). Now I prefer 50mm - it gives me some more creative angles and I can also use it for portraits if needed.
Ideally I want to sell 35mm and buy the 24mm 1.4. Now I just can't afford $2k for that prime.
I think it's your personal style, which will determine what kind of lens you need. All the lenses we've mentioned here have excellent performance.
The rest is on you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:08 pm 

As above re the 16-85. Great walkaround lens!