Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:23 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:08 am 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, today Sony announced the much-anticipated Alpha NEX-7.

Here's our Sony NEX-7 review!

Sony Zeiss 24mm f1.8 sample images with NEX-7

Sony UK press release

Supreme imaging plus pro performance and handling coupled with creative options

•24.3 effective megapixels Exmor APS HD CMOS sensor
•Quick, responsive autofocus and world’s fastest (0.02 sec) release time lag
•Quick, versatile new TRINAVI control
•High-resolution XGA OLED Tru-Finder™ and built-in flash
•Full HD Movie with 50p/25p, manual focus, full P/A/S/M exposure control and improved audio
•10fps continuous shooting (Speed priority mode)

Sony takes pro-quality imaging and creative options to new extremes with the easy to use α NEX-7. Styled in magnesium alloy for strength and premium looks, the NEX-7 weighs a travel-friendly approx. 291g (camera body only).

The NEX-7 features a newly-developed Exmor APS HD CMOS sensor with 24.3 effective megapixel resolution that’s teamed with the latest revision of Sony’s BIONZ image processing engine.

This unique combination of sensor and processor assures ultra-rapid shooting responses, plus flawless image quality with ultra-low noise when shooting still images or Full HD video. Extending from ISO 100-16000, the ultra-high sensitivity range makes it easy to capture clean, low-noise images in dimly lit interiors or at dusk.

Responses are accelerated further by a shutter release lag of just 0.02 seconds – the fastest of any interchangeable lens digital camera in the world. Quick, precise AF is enhanced by new Object Tracking that keeps accurate focus lock on a selected target, even when it’s moving in the frame.

The NEX-7 offers quick, easy control over creative settings via an intuitive new TRINAVI control. Two control dials on the top of the camera are complemented by a control wheel. Pushing the navigation button cycles quickly through various shooting modes, allowing enthusiasts to make custom adjustments and control images with the flexibility of a DSLR camera.

The NEX-7 is also the world’s first compact camera that features an XGA OLED TruFinder™ for precision framing and focusing. This precision electronic viewfinder gives a bright, detail-packed, high contrast view of still images and video, with approximately 100% frame coverage and a wide field of view to rival pro-grade optical viewfinders. On-screen grid lines and a level gauge can be displayed to assist with accurate framing.

The XGA OLED Tru-Finder™ is complemented by a 7.5 cm (3.0") Xtra Fine LCD that can be angled up to 90° up or 45º down for easy viewing in any shooting position. TruBlack technology assures superb detail and contrast with dramatically reduces on-screen reflections.

At the touch of a button, the NEX-7 shoots smooth AVCHD Full HD movies with high-quality stereo sound. Support for the new AVCHD Progressive (Ver. 2.0)* format also allows users to select 50p or 25p frame rates for beautifully smooth, detailed video footage. As with stills shooting, Object Tracking allows a target object to be selected for accurate tracking AF, even when the subject is moving.

Manual focus is now possible during video shooting. Enthusiasts can also enjoy full control over creating the perfect video image with Programme, Aperture/Shutter Priority and all-Manual modes (PASM). Stereo audio quality is improved, with revised circuitry that lowers noise levels, especially when shooting quiet scenes.

In speed priority mode, the NEX-7 captures fast-moving action at up to 10fps – the world’s fastest burst shooting speed of any mirrorless interchangeable lens camera.

First introduced on the NEX-C3, Picture Effect simplifies the production of sophisticated artistic effects ‘in camera’, with no PC or post-processing needed. There are now 11 modes and 15 effects, including new HDR Painting, Soft Focus, Miniature and Rich-Tone Mono. A generous palette of other artistic imaging functions includes 3D Sweep Panorama, Soft Skin, Auto HDR, Handheld Twilight and Anti Motion Blur Modes.

The NEX-7 introduces an Auto-lock Accessory Shoe, a first for E-mount cameras. Widening opportunities for advanced shooting applications, the shoe supports accessories including HVL-F58AM, F43AM and F20AM Flash, the HVL-MT24AM Macro Twin Flash Kit and CLM-V55 Clip-on LCD Monitor.

Lenses and accessories
The world’s first mount adaptor with built-in Translucent Mirror Technology™, the optional Mount Adaptor LA-EA2 allows phase-detection AF with almost all of the A-mount lenses for both still image and video shooting.

The LCS-ELC7 Soft Carrying Case combines a closely-fitting body case and lens jacket in genuine leather to protect camera body and lens from scratches and dust, is released exclusively for NEX-7. It’s complemented by the STP-XH70 shoulder strap in the same material.

The α NEX-7 ultra-compact interchangeable lens digital camera by Sony is available from November 2011.

Last edited by Gordon Laing on Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:51 am 

According to Engadget, the Sony NEX-7 will be US$1199 (before tax), body only.

The more indicative weight is 350 grams with battery and memory card (according to press release).

Apple: MacBook Air (11-in, 1.8GHz i7), Mac Pro (12-core 2.66GHz), MacBook Pro (15-in), iMac (21.5-in, Core i5), Mac mini Server (2.66GHz), iMac (24-in, C2D), PowerBook G4 (12-in, 1.33GHz), iMac G4 (1.25GHz)x2, PowerMac G4 (dual 1.44GHz).
iPhone: 5s, 5, 4S, 4, 3G
iPad: Air, Mini, 4, 3, 2, original (all models are 3G/LTE)
iPod touch: 5th gen x2, 4th gen x2 & 1st gen,
4 x AirPort Extreme, 2 x Time Capsule...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:10 am 
Site Admin

Hi, I've posted my preview / analysis of the NEX 7 here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Sony_Alpha_NEX_7/

It's late in NZ now so I'm calling it a night, but I'll add feature comparisons with other models tomorrow, along with a preview of the A77...

In the meantime, tell me what you think of the NEX-7!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:16 am 

Extraordinary. I'm tempted to ask why would one buy anything else!!!

It might be a little bigger than the other NEX cameras but it's still really compact with the body at 4.7 x 2.6 x 1.7 in. (120 x 67 x 43 mm) according to IR. The product shots don't really make the small size apparent so by way of comparison the Nikon P7100, an example of a fine regular high end compact camera, has a height of 3.1 in. (76.9mm) and a width of 6 in. (116.3mm). If I've got my sums right that means the NEX-7 has a 10% smaller frontal area than the P7100 while boasting over twice as many pixels on a regular APS-C sensor compared to the 1/1.7 in. sensor in the P7100.

The newly announced LA-EA2 which, as Gordon writes in his preview, means that "Sony has squeezed-in the semi-transparent mirror and phase-detection AF system of its SLT cameras, equipping the NEX-7 with a fast alternative AF system for stills and video" opens up a vast collection of legacy lenses for those who need more. As an aside that same adapter also works in conjunction with the NEX-VG20 video camera according to Akihabara News.

As always the final verdict will depend on the reviews but I have a feeling that the NEX-7 is a game changer for the entire DSLR community. Fantastic!

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:05 am 
If this had been around when I got my first SLR, I would never have even looked at the full sized SLRs.

It doesn't have the semi-translucent mirror cutting light to the sensor so does that mean noise performance is potentially superior to the A77?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:46 am 

I see this as an ideal transitional product for existing Alpha system users. The add on module to turn it into a SLT makes it a handy backup, until more native lenses appear.

For me the key questions are how does it really handle. I've yet to go through the assorted previews to see if there's any significant improvements over existing mirrorless system cameras. I've no doubt it'll be great as a mirrorless, but many have tried to predict the demise of the SLR and all have failed so far.

Side note: I have been wondering what might be the mirrorless system of choice going forward. m4/3 has the slight advantage by simply getting in there first, but overall as a system there are many design choices which don't agree with me. NEX has a better philosophy, but has been limited by lack of lens choice, so the new ones also announced will help there.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:07 pm 

Graham - you're correct - the NEX with the same sensor as the A77 will very likely have a slight advantage at higher ISOs, much as the current NEX3 & NEX5 edge the A33. It's not a huge light loss, but typically most evident at the very high ISO levels of 3200 and up.

Popo - I agree with your general synopsis - the M4:3 had the head start and a good lens selection for a starter system, and Sony's had to play catchup (which they haven't done), but were starting IMHO with a better sensor by sticking with APS-C and its inherent DR and ISO advantages. Now, with Sony moving up to 7 official E-mount lenses, they're just getting around to where they probably should have been when they kicked off, at least to attract enthusiasts more...and they do still seem to indicate the lens roadmap will be adhered to (which so far it has perfectly) which would give us 3 more E-mount lenses in 2012 for a total of 10.

I decided on the NEX system for the low light and dynamic range capabilities over anything else, which plays into my types of photographic needs. The new lenses make me feel good about Sony supporting the system, as did the 3 firmwares in just 1 year...and now 3 new bodies of still camera mirrorless just a year or so after the first two debuted looks good. The only questionmark for me about the NEX7 is whether I need or want 24MP - I'd be perfectly content with the NEX7 body and the A580's 16MP sensor...but I love the additional controls, the new shutter (and faster response it brings), and the viewfinder.

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

Post subject: NEX-7 comments
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:15 am 

I've had the NEX-5 with 18-55 lens for many months and love it. I keep the accessory flash attached most of the time, but that means fiddling around when adding an external microphone (which fits into the same socket). So an inbuilt flash on the NEX-7 is welcome. A hot shoe is also welcome. One item that bugs me on the NEX-5 and which still seems to be on the NEX-7 is the rotating wheel on the back - when rotating the wheel (for eg to change ISO) it is too easy to mistakenly press it a bit too hard, which then activates choices like exposure compensation. I welcome the new lenses, particularly the 55-210.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:38 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for your input Strabo - the new NEX 5N is also an interesting option...

By the way, I chatted about the new Sony cameras during a fun Google+ hangout I did today with Trer Ratcliff, Thomas Hawk and many more fun photo folk, so check it out at:

http://www.justin.tv/keithbarrett/b/293426800

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:04 am 

That Google+ effort reminded me of the old console days: ECHO ON, ECHO OFF. It really disrupted the event. :( What a pain! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:17 am 
Looks like a fine piece of hardware... Price getting right up there, though, although I think I paid about $900 US for my old Pro90is and that didn't make me flinch for some reason. Maybe because it was a bit larger? :wink:

Looking forward to seeing some real world output from the little beast.

Post subject: Sony NEX-7
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:01 pm 
This looks to be a very interesting camera.

It and the Panasonic GH2 show what Olympus could be doing with its micro four thirds series.

Post subject: NEX-7 Review
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:01 pm 
Great comments, as always; thanks!

Thanks for noting the too-often neglected buffer depth info. This is a deal-killer for serious action shooting: 3fps is too slow, and the 1-second buffer depth at 10fps is far too short. One would think that camera designers have never shot action shots.

6 or 7fps is highly satisfactory for most sports action shots (even 4-5fps is acceptable), and 10fps is overkill--unless you're trying to catch the instant when the tennis ball or golf ball gets flattened by the impact, in which case you would need at least 2-3 seconds to be sure of getting the shot. And for any kind of sports action, with fewer than 3-5 seconds you are going to miss a lot of key moments. It's a shame that they opted for high and low speeds and left out the functional middle ground.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:25 pm 

Hi DR Win,

May I wish you a warm welcome to the CameraLabs forum.

@everyone - There are some high ISO pre-production samples available here. ISO 3200 doesn't look at all shabby. 8)

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:03 pm 

A brief take on the preproduction NEX-7 from LL

"I don't know about your experience, but I am used to the output from my 24MP Sony A900 and Zeiss glass, and this looks every bit as good, both on screen and in prints. Certainly at low to moderate ISOs the NEX-7 is neck-and-neck with Sony current Pro-grade full-frame camera, and that means that it will be comparable to the image quality of Nikon and Canon's current full-frame cameras – at moderate ISOs, of course".

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/revie ... ions.shtml