Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:57 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:33 am 
Hi,

Id like to buy 2 flash brackets which can mount them to my umbrellas and then onto a light stand. Plus id like to be able to take them off the stand and hand hold the umbrellas for certain shots with the flash still mounted on the umbrella. Which product should i buy for this ?

These are the 2 options i found but i dont want to buy the wrong or inconvenient one. So could you suggest which one would be better to buy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... ESINDXX:IT

or this ball head one ......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... ESINDXX:IT

Hope to hear your suggestions before i buy them.

Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:34 pm 

There don't seem to be many replies in this section, I have noticed. Everyone is too busy aruging over which camera manafacture is best.

I would go with the swivel bracket because otherwise you won't have much control over it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:12 am 
Hi,

Your exactly right. Not just this section though. Almost every section. Nowadays posting on camera labs is just a waste of time in my opinion. Gone are the days where you could ask a simple question and fellow members would help.

Like you said they are mostly waging the wars of the brands and such niche topics which have no fruitful outcome.

Ive noticed this in the last 5-6 threads i started.

In fact i had a serious problem last week and wanted members to take a look at some sample images i shot with my brand new SIGMA 10-20mm, because i had reason to believe i got a soft focussing faulty lens. And i was under pressure because i had to return the lens to the retailer in a day or two if i had a bad one.

Appalling help here. Except some guy popped up to defend the Sigma brand very fiercely by blaming the user. Many of them assume only they know how to take a good photograph. If every lens could be judged only after using it for 1 year, then why would there be people returning so many faulty lenses a few days after purchase ?

Not one answer, except after 4 days 1 member passed some undecided comments on the pics, thats it. There were some members insisting to post samples as thats the only way they could help. And after i immdeiately went out and shot some images, created a flickr account etc and put them up, Nothing ! The same guy who went on saying post some samples, didnt even bother to take a look or reply. he has 5 posts asking me to post images. Not even one after seeing the images.

Because of this i had to retain the same lens, bad or not. A costly mistake. So this place isnt reliable in making crucial decisions or to assume we have a friendly circle of members that would actually really help.

I just now posted this question on another more popular forum and there were instant answers that had a healthy and useful discussion about which bracket to use.

Thanks

PS: Your mention of the swivel bracket is the first one or the ball head one ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:28 am 

It's hard to judge from the pictures. I'd go for the first one though, the ball head one seems unsecured, if you attach a soft box this may be too heavy for the locking screw on the ball and it may slip.

Canon580EXII
http://www.errre.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:52 am 

I didn't realise that the first one actually swivelled.

A ball head should give you more movements, so providing the equipment is secure, I would go for it.

They are the same price anyway, aren't they?

(spelling corrected)

Last edited by Canon 500D on Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:09 pm 
Yes price wise they are the same. But the only advantage is that the ball head ones are smaller when using it in purely a umbrella + flash configuration (without a stand, using people to hold and point them).

Radu > Your right in that the only thing with the ball head seems to be slippage. Thats why if some whos used or seen these being used can also confirm then nothing like it.

Do they mount softboxes on rigs like this ? How. Theres a hole provided for the umbrella to slide in and lock. Where is there a provision for a stand like this to hold a softbox. Can you just point out ?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:37 am 

The stand does not hold the softbox directly, it either clips onto the flash, or additional brackets are required. This is product dependant.