Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:20 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: my cowboy friends
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:22 am 

For you, Lah...I tried something new. Knowing you like the roping deal...

Meet my good, and humble friend, Jeremy..in the California desert, with his best girl, Gucci..(because for a cowboy, she is a pretty fancy horse!!) and, to the cowboy it is ALLLL about the horse...so I tried to make Gucci stand out..
True cowboy...friend to horse, family man, tireless worker..the best of the best.

My first attempt at totally manual...I know you will want to know, the settings, so let me go check...my first attempt at Raw, and changing colors!!

hopin you can see thru the photo, to the man..

waiting for your expert reviews..

patti

ok..here ya go.

ISO 100
exp 1/800
ap f5
focal 165mm
lens canon EF 70-300 USM IS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:57 am 
Wow thats a great photo, good job!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:03 pm 

That is a really good photo! Although I think the subject (human) has a bit of a clueless look on his face.

All-in-all great lighting (even if it is natural) and great DOF.

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:06 am 
Site Admin

Hi Patti, I think the sepia tone works very well here... nice shot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:48 am 
Hey patti,

Thank you for the consideration!! That is a stunning image. Shades of Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid going on there!! Perhaps a bit of Lee Van Cleef for good measure!

All the great connotations aside, that is a great composition and good light too. A "moment" between the horse and his rider..pensive...reflective..looks really good!

I've noticed that you are getting the hang of this - in leaps and bounds. I'm no photo-expert, but I know what I like and this one is a winner :-)

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:22 am 
Patti nice image and treatment....... but have you tried cropping some of the area from behind the cowboy, to make it square.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:54 am 

yay!!! I am so addicted to this stuff...I think it was Nick that said it really is an addiction...he is right. sheesh...thank you all for the encouragement, Marzy..it is not something that comes easy to me....Jake, I tried with that lighting, had one that was perhaps a better angle, but yuk on the lighting..Gordon, always a nod from you sets me off on another adventure...to see if I can do better. Lah. You know the whole day I was out there in that God forsaken desert, and I kept thinkin I had better get one good enough for Lah...so I am REAL glad you liked it.
Big Pix, I like that idea..I held up a piece of paper to see if it would look better cropped, and I see what you are saying..My favorite part of the whole deal, is sifting thru looking for one that is CLW. My favorite part of this photo are those wispy bushes in the background, that mirror Gucci's mane...go figure...I just thought it was cool.

thanks
patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:47 pm 
Hi Patti,

Just takin some time out here on a rare day off work. This is a beautiful photo, I just love the horse. Your friend Jeremy seems to be in such deep thought and that beauty of a horse is just waitin for him to make his move. For me there is a little story in the picture.

Thanks for sharing

Cheers Ormina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:53 pm 
Thanks for sharing. I agree with comments already made that the sepia does work. I have a recollection of saying this about another of your images before, but the composition has a lot of room for improvement, mainly to do with where you're positioned. I can see this was most likely shot at eye level, and seeing as you made Gucci the subject rather than your friend, then I would be aiming to capture the eyes of the horse and not of the person. Therefore I'd be low from the ground and taking an image facing the horse with your friend in the background from the opposite side to where you took this, so the horse is on the left, and your friend on the right. It could also do with a crop with space on the left of the frame.

It's a good image, and please don't get discouraged by what I've said - they're just things I would have done for me to be happy if it were my own image, and I don't speak for everyone. Keep snapping and sharing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:25 am 

photoj... good on you..it takes a lot more then a negative thought to discourage me!!
First let me thank you for your critique..It is true, everyone sees things a little different, that's why this is so fun..what you see is different then what I see...and I apreciate your input..I chose this pose, because this is an emotion, within the "cowboy"... (usually portrayed as a rough customer)..this relationship is special..and I feel that you can "tell" by the humbleness in his approach.. The bond between horse and man, is often times hard to capture..one of the few relationships where man must rely on his animal partner, sometimes for his life and oft time for his weekly paycheck...the term Willing Partner comes to mind, and that is what I had hoped to portray. I opted to intrude on this relationship, with my camera..and the unspoken bond between horse, and man. I think a frontal of the horses face would have missed her "glance" as she searches for the cowboy..and missed the quality of his response.

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:44 am 
Thanks for explaining your thoughts at the time you took the image. It's good to know that you were thinking of your composition. However it still hasn't changed how I view the image, because the composition doesn't quite work for me. If you were looking for the response of both horse and man, both really should be made focal points in the frame - especially the eyes. In your image, the bulk of focus on the horse's saddle. Whilst you can't do much now with the focal points, a closer zoom or a tighter crop could help with drawing us to the eyes.

Disregarding how I feel about the composition of the photo, I understand that you kept further back so you didn't interrupt the moment, but getting closer, either positioning or by zoom (you still had plenty of zoom left from the EXIF) would have made a stronger image by isolating out the saddle and the rope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:55 pm 

thanks photoj, am glad this photo got ya thinkin...

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:08 pm 
The human eye is drawn to what's more in focus within a photo. In this case, it's the saddle, distracting from what you probably had in mind. I think that's (at least in part) what Photoj meant. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:52 pm 
Oh, that leather-undies doesnt seem very comfortable.
Lucky for him he's wearing them on the outside.