Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:27 pm 

I did some rough calculations ages ago I don't have any more. With some assumptions of the unwanted reflections at each layer, I think I worked out each reflection generation would be so many stops down. If you have a better anti-reflection coating that ghosting level will reduce, until such a point when a perfect coating would make it a non-issue. I'd have to assume they use a coating on it already as without one it would be truly horrific, and it isn't going to get much better.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:39 pm 

Quote:
Regarding the blackout - the only blackout I can think of is the shutter...So it should be a very short blackout, as there is no moving mirror anymore. Regarding the slideshow delay - wasn't this a problem with the A55 which happened if you turned on "image review after capture" or so ? With this turned off I don't think it'll be a problem, to be honest.

The blackout/slideshow is essentially the same thing - I'm figuring out a way to describe it. But no, it wasn't about the image review - it had to do with how the camera handles firing in continuous burst mode while panning after a moving subject. Being an electronic display, it can't show a real time image interrupted by tiny shutter flashes...when the shutter trips, the EVF loses its live view for that brief moment - the way they handled it on the A33/55 was to show you the last frame you just took, and cycle through the frames in rapid succession - essentially like watching a slideshow, always one frame behind reality. The problem for me was that it made tracking a small, fast moving targer difficult, since you couldn't track course changes in real time - you were a few milliseconds behind. The effect for me was like I was always a step or two behind and trying to predict where a bird was going - keeping the subject centered in the focus box was very difficult for me, whereas it's a breeze with an optical viewfinder for me. What I need is for Sony to have developed some way to provide a real-time view while firing continuous frames...no delay or 'slideshow' effect.

Quote:
And as far as the ghosting is concerned...I wonder if it could be resolved by using a coating on the 'translucent' mirror, like on a lens

I'm sure this one is solvable...though I thought the simplest, most elegant solution seemed like just allowing the user to flip the translucent mirror out of the way...or have it done automatically when taking a long exposure shot (like, anything over 2 seconds, for example).

Ghosting wasn't that big of a deal, at least not as big as some made it out to be, but for those of us who do a very large amount of night scene shooting with long exposures, it does rear its head. It may be very faint, or only in certain specular highlights, but night shooters face these often.

I'm not going to prejudge the camera though - I'll await the previews and tests and see how it works before I decide if it's a good camera for me to upgrade to, or not.[/quote]

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:21 am 

Justin, when it becomes available you should take it out in the field for a couple of weeks and see for yourself how it performs.
It you can't get over the shortcomings of the EVF (assuming there will be any) then you can return the camera for a full refund.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:34 am 

I wish one could do that in Europe, too...At least in Belgium you have to return a product within, say, a week, if you want a refund.

My photos on Flickr...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:14 pm 

I've actually never done that here either. I think I'm too much an old fashioned consumer, and always feel pangs of guilt when I hear OTHER people say they bought something, used it, then sent it back. I wouldn't even know honestly what places allow this - but it seems many do because it's rampant on the forums.

If I were to do it, it would be at a place that makes the policy a point of pride and not a hidden clause, and it would be buying just the one camera, trying it out for a day or two, then returning it if it didn't work out. I've never done this before, but at least if the store advertises it, I suppose it's OK. What I don't think I could do, that I often see people mention on various camera forums, is buy 4 or 5 cameras, play with them all for a month, then return all but 1...to me, that just doesn't seem right even if the store allows it.

Any ideas what types of places allow you to buy an item, open the box, use it, and still return it? Would the Sony store allow this? Amazon? B&H? I would feel more comfortable with the purchase if I could test it out with my own shooting and see if it would work.

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:25 pm 

I know for a fact that every Sony Style (Canada) store has a 30 day full refund policy, as my original A700 had too many predominant wires showing in the viewfinder and I exchanged it for another body a couple of weeks later.

Believe me, Sony being a GIANT Corporate entity doesn't care if you return or exchange a product, as a consumer you should use every available angle that they offer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:45 am 

In case you hadn't noticed...Go and have a look :D! There's plenty of pictures over at SAR...

Too bad they removed the custom button, really wished it had one :(. They replaced it with that silly 'Smart Teleconverter' thing which I also have on my A350. And I was happy I could get rid of it at last, as it truly is a gimmick :(.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-hot- ... n-germany/

My photos on Flickr...