Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:30 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:30 pm 
Some flowers made with my Nikon D7000 and nikkor 35mm F1.8G prime lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:50 pm 

Any post process on these? The color is amazing!

50mm f1.8
quatary mono/tripod

Google+
Facebook
Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:04 pm 
Sorry for the late reply did't look in the topic for a while. Must have missed your reply for some reason.

Some post processing was done but not on the colors but don't really remember. But I like to keep post processing to the minimum and keep it as natural as possible usually so I don't think I did anything with it.

All I did was set a black and white control point in CatureNX2 to get more accurate contrast between darkest and lightest point. Then I used a highpass filter to enhance sharpness I believe that was it because thats what I Usually do, and I dont do much more then that normally.

But Nature is something amazing so I guess making photos of it can give amazing results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:22 am 
2nd one would look good as b&w. Really good texture!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:05 pm 
During a walk in the forest I came across this flower and since I wanted to test something with apertures and sharpness on my 70-300mm lens I thought I might as well make some pics of this nice flower.

Camera: D7000
Lens: Nikkor 70-300mm @ 135mm focal length.
Aperture F8
VR: OFF
Shutter speed 1/320 sec (handheld)
ISO 280.

Postprocessing done in CatureNX2. basicly set a black & White control point and with color control points I changed a bit of contrast and saturation on the flowers. (No software sharpness controls were added since it didn't really add any sharpness only added artefacts).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:45 pm 

Love the most recent shot, the leaves in the background really isolate the flowers, but I would've lowered the aperture just a bit more to really blow out the background. You don't have to worry about the "not so smooth" bokeh of the 35mm f/1.8 with the 70-300. Don't get me wrong, I love my 35, but I don't find the bokeh very pleasing. Your very first shot of this thread is a prime example of it. Excellent composition, beautiful colours, but dog-ugly bokeh

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:04 pm 
I won't use the 35mm all that much in the future. Got myself a nikkor AF-S 12-24mm F4G today (used).

I will look for a nikkor 50mm lens now to replace my 35mm F1.8G. Or maybe I will just keep keep it. So soon will make my flower shots with a 50mm lens.

35mm is a nice lens but it always just a tad to short or just a tad to long in focal length in my situation.

With the 70-300 bokeh can be nice if the background is a bit further away.
I will post process another flower tonight and post it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:14 pm 

Congrats on the new lens, so are you going to join the "Professional User Program" now? :lol:

I find my 35mm the same as you, it's either too short or too long. It's too short when I do portraits as I get too much body and not enought headm and it's too long when I'm trying to do landscapes. I'd love a 20-50mm f/1.8, but that's just a crazy dream, imagine the price.

Can't wait to see more shots!

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:26 pm 
It called the professional USER program. Not the professional gear program :lol:

So I dont think I am allowed in the club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:32 pm 

Well, according to Nikon, it's not your talents that make you a pro photographer, it's your gear. Sounds like Thom Hogan created the club to me...

- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:13 pm 
This is another one I made today. Did not work out as good as I hoped for.
Only thing nice about it is the bokeh.

Camera: Nikon D7000
lens: Nikkor 70-300mm F4.5-F5.6G ED IF VR
ISO: 200
Aperture F5.6
Shutterspeed: 1/160 sec
Focal length: 100mm
postprocessing done in CaptureNX2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:51 pm 

Excellent composition, and the spider web adds something to it. However, it does seem a bit overexposed.

- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:29 am 
The sun was catching a bit of the flower, It might look over exposed but I think this is what it looked like with sunlight catching it. I was more worried about the softness then the sunlight actually.

But maybe I should have underexposed it a bit to make it look a bit warmer in light and color. I learn something new about photography every day, usually by other people pointing out details that they like, or (usually) don't like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:29 pm 
I made some new ones. Bought myself a Nikkor 60mm F2.8G micro lens.
So I test it today. I must say this micro lens has a bit of a learning curve but I managed to get some nice shots anyway.

I made a shot of one of those flowers I also shot with my 70-300mm.
Very difficult to get 1:1 shots with this lens but If I manage to get 1:3 magnifications its already more then a normal lens. You can see that the texture on the pink Echinacea is more detailed then with my 70-300mm lens.

This lens is very contrasty and pretty color accurate. I think its pretty sharp too.

Post subject: Great pictures!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:33 pm 

Great pictures, my friends!