Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:17 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:31 pm 
Found this fellow in my mother-in-law's garden.

Taken with a SONY Nex-5 & 18-55mm lense at 3.5F, 1/50 with flash. Due to the darkness I couldn't manual focus without my aperture wide open.

I am hoping for some constructive criticism, the flash seemed to wash out the snail, reflecting too much light back so these have had their contrast heightened in photoshop.

Click images to enlarge

Last edited by Sgtpigeon on Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:59 pm 

Looks like all the snails in our garden (Germany). :lol:

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:04 pm 
Haha, its nothing like what I am used to seeing in Canada. Maybe if I lived in BC he would be a normal sight.

Thank you for the comment

EDIT: Finally got a a photo of the bag worm thats been hanging around too.

Reverse 18-55mm lense with my nex-5 f12 or so... 1/50 Its a little shaky because I dont have a reversing ring so I have to hold the lense and camera haha.. :roll:

Last edited by Sgtpigeon on Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: more shots
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:42 pm 
I am not sure what this is to be honest, maybe a nymph of an assassin bug?

Anyway, he was rather calm and let me practice my reverse lens stability on him. I released him on the top of a plant and left a small banana piece, in the result that he is a predator at least it should attract something for him haha.

Post subject: Washed out flash
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:03 pm 

Congratulations on your beautiful pictures! I'm actually from Brazil, but never saw snails like those.

Regarding your flash, may I ask how you used it? Personally, I use an off camera flash for small things, hand held at a different angle (sort of 45° to the upper left), with something in front of it to smooth the hard light (a peace of translucent paper or the "built in wide lens adapter" present in my SB600).

The ladybug was pictured using this technique, and notice that the light was so "on the spot", that you can see the translucence of the bug without too many excessively illuminated points (mainly on it's upper/left side). :o

Would like very much to hear about your results with different settings.

Cheers,
Paulo.