Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:16 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:42 am 
Hello there. The names Mike. New to this forum also new to the whole photography scene. Well let me start off my first dslr I owned was a Nikon D3000. Good camera but I needed something with video capability and the revolving screen. So I go and buy a Canon EOS Rebel T3i 18-55mm kit. So far I'm very happy with the works on this dslr. I currently own Canon 18-55mm lens, Tamron 18-200mm Macro lens, and Tokina 80-400mm lens. Reason for going from a Nikon to Canon was my girlfriends god father is a Photographer who only works with Canon. So I can use his lenses when needed. So I go to his place one day so he could teach me a few tips with my canon. Long story short I leave his house with Photoshop, A aluminum tripod and the Tokina 80-400mm lens for free. :) I was told by him that I could only use the lens in MF mode. Which is cool. But when I put the lens in AF and hit the shot button half way at the same time spinning the focus ring I noticed that helps the AF to focus on my target. Any suggestions? Help appreciated. I would love to get this AF feature to be working 110%.

-Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:50 pm 

Welcome to the forums Mike!

The tokina lens features AF, but since your godfather said not to use the autofocus, I can only assume it is broken, which is probably also the reason you got it for free ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:20 pm 
I know. He told me that the AF doesn't work. Like I mentioned before. When it is in AF mode and you help it a little bit it goes into focus. So I'm guessing the AF isn't 100% broken. If anything it seems like it jamed. That why I asked what to do. Can this be fixed as a DIY? Or is there some place to get lenses fixed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:06 pm 

Hello Mike, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
To enjoy your stay here please have a look at the house-rules!
As to your Q.: I would suggest to try DIY on a lens and I fear that bringing it to a service shop might be quite costly. But at least you can ask and decide for yourself whether the repair would justify the cost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:55 pm 
Ok if i take this job myself is there a write up any where? Where can I source parts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:03 pm 

Ooops, sorry Mike! I wrote "I would suggest to try DIY", but it should read "I would NOT suggest to try DIY" because my experience from just dismantling and re-assembling the lens mount from a tele-converter convinced me not to try my DIY-abilities on anything but the most rotten and cheapo lens. And your Tokina 80-400 certainly does not fall in this category.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:16 pm 
O lol sounds good. From my resources this lens is like a $700usd lens so I would love to get it back and running correctly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:03 am 
have you thought of buying a used lens? it would be cheaper but the quality should be ok. because the DIY idea with it is not really good