Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:04 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:24 am 

I'm afraid I don't know anything about the Sony A35 but I do have a Panasonic G3. I'm happy to answer any questions you have about it but I'll list a few things that you might found use.

-The picture and video quality is excellent for the size and weight. It doesn't do 1080p video if that's a dealbreaker. It doesn't have a microphone connector either so no external microphones can be used.

-The automatic mode is good, more like that found on a compact camera and is activated by pressing a button on the top rather than having to select a mode on the mode dial. When activated the button is illuminated. Far better for when you give your camera to someone else to take a picture quickly without having to change any settings. One button press and it's all done for you.

-The kit 14-42mm lens is ok but nothing special. If you want some great pictures of your son I'd recommend the f/1.7 20mm pancake lens. It has has the advantage of making the whole package very small. It'll fit in a Lowepro Apex 60 AW case for example. The disadvantage is the price of the lens.

I hope that helps! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:42 am 

I really thought the G3 w. its tilt swivel, larger than P&S sensor and built in EVF was going to be the compact camera to get but after holding it in the store and briefly using it I came away with some negatives I can't overcome.

Feel: The camera feels very "plasticky"

Menu Layout: The menu system in my opinion is a mess--it is hard to navigate, even in comparison to the GH2. Something as simple as changing from auto focus to manual focus or picture review time were even hard for the camera salesman to access.

Electronic Viewfinder: Was surprised at how low resolution it was, it also had a blue color cast. Also highlights tend to blow out.

Size: The G3 is not smaller in any appreciable respect from the GH2.

Body Only vs. Kit Lens Availability: So far only kits are for sale, and I don't want to get the kit lens, it in the wrong focal range, doesn't have close focus abilities and simply makes the camera as whole not that much smaller than a Nikon D40 and 28mm. Also pricing out a prime plus a body only is pushing past $1K in cost, it becomes hard to justify that price.

So after seeing this G3 I think the Canon G12 with its tilt swivel screen is the way to go, I rather not sacrifice image quality by going to a smaller sensor but the above really steered me away from a G3, oh well... That said I am apprehensive on the prospect of getting a G12 when it is getting close for them to release a "new" one.

Micro 4/3rds is another camera system, but I don't know if the size and cost of ownership are there yet to justify this lineup. Perhaps someone starting with no previous cameras/lenses it'd be an easier justify getting into micro 4/3rds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:05 pm 

I agree with capitol on the shortcomings of the G3. I really wonder why the G3 is getting so much hype, when it seems the m43 camera with supposedly the best image quality is still the gh1. There have been many other improvements, but at the end of the day, IQ hasnt improved since the release of the gh1 - which seems bizarre.. Will the Gh3 finally step up to the plate?? Or will they make a GHpro and increase the price thru the roof?

Dont get me wrong, I cant wait for Olympus or Panasonic to come out with a better m43 camera, ill be first in line to buy it, im just not seeing it in the G3 or the new oly models..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:54 pm 

Does the G3 have the ability to take slow motion video like the GH2?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:50 am 

The G3 (and GH2) can shoot 720p60fps which can be dropped onto a 24fps timeline, if that's what you mean.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:17 am 

Quote:
The G3 (and GH2) can shoot 720p60fps which can be dropped onto a 24fps timeline, if that's what you mean.

Mark

Thank you for your reply.

Can you please tell me how to access this feature on the camera? I recently got the chance to examine one of these little cameras but didn't see a "high speed" video capture setting. I asked the salesman about taking high speed video and he didn't know anything about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:43 pm 

Hello Gordon.. .

Your review was the reason why i bought CANON SX20 IS and after a year of practicing (AUG 2010 - SEPT 2011)
YOUR REVIEW AGAIN WAS THE REASON WHY I UPGRADED to this camera DMC G3 and im loving it.. .

Specially the TOUCH CONTROL which i can easily manipulate the camera.

Just wanna ask if you can give me some shooting tips :) and should i use a RAW or JPEG or what'?
im not into picture editing but as ive seen in your review that you preferred RAW coz its gave more good quality..

Any advice that YOU and OTHER USERS will be really appreciated..

Thanx alot.. .