Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:13 pm 

I tried just for fun to fold all three lengs of my tripod together, to emulate a monopod. It's funny how stable this configuration is. Most of the high frequence wobbles holding a tele-lens were gone. I'd assume you can go down to 1/4 sec with 200mm!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:21 pm 

Hmm, browser shopping right now, lol. Thanks for that.

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:05 am 

Hi folks. I owe a big thank you to Gordon & Thomas. I think you've both given good advice and based on that - and my limited budget - I've ordered a Manfrotto 190 Pro BX and 460MG head.

I admit I had some issues with the weight capacity of the 190 against the 055 but I'm not likely to have the battery grip on the camera when I'm using the tripod and the 18-135mm lens isn't very heavy. Any future lens purchases are likely to be at the wide end (I'm specifically looking at the Nikkor 10.5mm) and so won't be particularly heavy either.

The head posed some conundrums though. I've read mixed opinions on the 460MG but I don't like the type with the long handles. The only other option for a head seemed to be one of the cheaper ball heads but then horizons will start being inconsistent (I mainly shoot landscapes).

I also bought the Nikon infra-red remote for...well, just to be flash really, lol.

Once again, thanks to all who advised me. It's always much appreciated.

Zorro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:19 am 
Site Admin

Cool good stuff! I hope you'll be very happy with it!

Be great if you could also do a user review when you've had a chance to try it out...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:40 am 

Gordon Laing wrote:
Cool good stuff! I hope you'll be very happy with it!

Be great if you could also do a user review when you've had a chance to try it out...

Gordon

I was thinking that too. I've never "reviewed" anything before so it'll be a challenge.

Zorro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:01 pm 

Hi all.

My tripod arrived today and my first impressions are good. Build quality seems excellent. I was a bit concerned the head might not be particularly sturdy but that's not the case. I haven't had the opportunity to go outside and test it yet but I will, hopefully this afternoon.

I found this video on the web. Have a look.

How Manfrotto Tripods Are Bent Into Life

Zorro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:00 am 
Been intrested in buying manfrotto monopod and wondering if anyone has a recommendation to give me on that.

One i have been checking is Manfrotto Monopod 680Bwith a tilthead 234RC

Anyone have any experience on this one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:44 am 

I've never used a monopod so can't help with that but Manfrotto's a quality make so I would recommend them.

Zorro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:07 pm 

Mindmeld, I'm not sure you really need a head on a monopod. See my description how I do with my Manfrotto MA 676 monopod here: http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670
As for landscape vs. portrait: When I'm outside (typical scenario for a monopod) I'm shooting less and less in portrait mode, as I normally don't tilt my displays :?
P.S.: The 676 is cheaper as the 680, weighs only half and does it's job very well :)

Last edited by Thomas on Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:55 pm 
I am thinking of buying a Manfrotto 055xprob with a 488 ball head and I wonder if anyone has any commenta bout that head.

I have seen there are some different quick release systems and are there any real cons and pros among them?

Edit: I have bought this and I feel satisfied with it I might put a few comments about it when I have used it a bit more

Last edited by Egge on Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:20 am 
I toyed around with a 488 and a 488RC2. I settled for the 804RC2 as that was offered to me for free when I bought my 055XPROB! The release plate is a must for the work I do - it allows me to quickly get my camera off the tripod for handholding, or onto the tripod when needed, and even to quickly switch over bodies on the tripod by having a spare release plate. It also makes it easier to attach the camera/lens to the tripod without having to fiddle around with multiple twists of the equipment to just get it on. The extra cost for the 488RC2 should be worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:57 am 
I am so confused.
I bought Bogen/ Manfrotto 460MG 3D.
I was looking @ Zorros posts and calmac1991.
Bogan 190 and Giottos MT9842 seems to be the most economical @ the same time sturdy for hiking/ traveling.
Both Gordons :lol: :lol: didn't mention anything about specific bogan model.
I already using Gorillapod . Thumbs up Gordon.
Please enlighten me. I there are any new models please let me know too.

Venura

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:20 am 
I purchased a new tripod and ballhead the other day.

Legs: 190CXPRO3 Carbon Fiber Tripod

http://www.adorama.com/BG190CXPRO3.html ... &item_no=1

Head: 468MGRC2 Hydrostatic ballhead

http://www.adorama.com/BG468MGRC2.html? ... &item_no=1

I upgraded from the 785B tripod/head combo. It was sufficient early on for some tasks, but quickly it showed it's limitations.

After almost having my camera fall a few times due to it not being able to hold the weight of the body and lens, I resolved to upgrade. I figured I'd rather spend the money to get a tripod and head that could do all the tasks I wanted from it than put the same amount or more into replacing a lens or camera that breaks from insufficient support. It took time to save up and alot of analysis but I am happy with the combo I bought.

Going from a ballhead that barely holds 3 lbs to one that is rated at 22+ lbs is night and day. The hydrostatic mechanism is very smooth and easy to lock with minimal effort and holds and holds. I used to be afraid to put my camera in portrait orientation with my other tripod, now I can put my heaviest lens on my camera with a flash and can pick up the tripod and hold it at any angle I want with no fear of it budging even an inch.

Make no mistake, it's not a cheap ballhead but having something that gives peace of mind along with smooth performance, panning base, friction control and ease of use is worth the pennies you save up.

The tripod legs are the 3 section carbon fiber legs with the Quick Column system that Bogen has started to use. When the center column is extended, you can press a button to rotate it 90 degrees to rest horizontally and give a twist of a knob to lock it in place. This gives some enhanced compositional abilities and also allows the tripod to get very close to the ground without having to actually remove any component of the tripod. It's a neat mechanic, but due to it moving the center of gravity away from the center of the tripod you have to be aware that the tripod can tip if the weight is too heavy hanging out to the side. You can still move the center column and bring the head of the tripod close to the center of the tripod to help counter-balance, or hang a weight off the other end of the column. Of course, the wider of an angle you spread the legs the more stable of a platform you have.

All in all, these are still first impressions. Weather is too cold and miserable out to do much shooting in the wilderness but when it warms up I will be out there and getting a more genuine idea of what this set can do. I eagerly await that day!

Regardless however, I decided to overspend now to prevent having to spend in the future. I feel like I have left myself a large amount of room to grow with the tripod and should have a set that lasts me a loooong time.

I'll try to update with some photos and more impressions as I use the combo. If anyone has any specific questions to ask me about these products, feel free to post in the thread or shoot me a private tell.