Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:50 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:27 pm 
I just wanted to ask if using a ND filter reduces the ambient light but doesnt affect the flash output/reflectance/exposure.

I mean for shots where we would like an underexposed ambient without affecting the flash after hitting the max sync speed, will throwing on a ND filter to further reduce ambient light affect the flash output ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:14 pm 
ND filters affect both ambient and flash equally in exposure. If you are going for an underexposed ambient effect and you have access to a speed light check out high speed sync. It allows you to shoot beyond the normal 1/250th sync speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:26 am 
Hi,

Yes im aware of high speed sync and how it works in a prolonged burst manner to light the entire frame as the shutter slit moves accross the sensor.

But i read somewhere (or saw a youtube video) sometime ago where a photog mentioned he was bringing down ambient light using ND filters so that the flash exposure would pop out more. I guess he didnt properly express what he actually meant.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:11 am 
You could use an ND filter to lower the ambient but you would need a very powerful/close flash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:39 am 
Yes your right, id need something like a lighthouse to illuminate my subject. Ive got 4 YN-460s. But i think they arent exactly the brightest (though they are 53 guide numbered ??).

However i think some people group 3 or 4 flashes together to get a brighter blast ? Does that work ? Will 4 flashes sitting next to each other and fired all in the same direction give approximately 4 times brighter illumination ?