Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Which DSLR?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:47 am 
I am looking for a DSLR, but are not sure which to go for. This is for personal use, and I have not owned one before.

My budget is £500, and I would like a lens bundle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:54 am 

Hi,
I reccomended Rich to the forum after he decided he was looking for a DSLR.

Let the brand debait begin. :D

Well, I have a Canon EOS 500D. My reasons for purchasing it was that it fitted in well with what I wanted, or it 'ticked the boxes' as some would say. This included the following.

My Budget - This just touched my set budget of £600 (before cashback etc)
HD Video - This was a bonus and I wanted to give it a go
Pixels - I wanted a reasonable amount

You will see my equipment list in my signature area below.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:41 am 

Hello, and welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

With your budget, you'd be looking at the entry level DSLRs with their kit lenses.

If you're looking for a Nikon, I'd recommend the D3100 with the Nikkor 18-55mm VR (included in the kit) and if you could extend your budget just a bit I'd highly recommend adding on the Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 prime lens, which is very sharp and a great walk around, everyday lens. You could also step up to the Nikon D5100, which is what you could call Nikon's "flagship entry level model" (of course, Nikon only has two entry level cameras), and it adds a higher resolution, better performing sensor (the same found in the D7000) plus an articulating high resolution display for live view and video mode. If you get the D5100 however, you wouldn't have the money left in your budget for the 35mm f/1.8 prime which is an excellent lens. If you find one second hand for cheap, I'd recommend picking it up. Alternatively to save some cash, you could pick up an older Nikon body such as the D3000 or the D5000.

If you're looking for a Canon, I'd take a look at their entry level model, the 1100D (or Rebel T3), which is a bit cheaper than Nikon's D3100. The 1100D generally comes with the Canon 18-55mm kit lens, and I'd add a 50mm f/1.8 prime lens into the package as well. You could even step up to the 550D or 600D (Rebel T2i and T3i) but you'd probably have to leave out the 50mm f/1.8 prime lens. The 550D adds a better imaging sensor, better video mode and a better build, and the 600D adds an articulated display like the Nikon D5100. If you want to save some money and buy an older, possible second hand body, look at the 1000D or the 500D.

Other brands like Pentax make good DSLRs on par with the Canons and Nikons, but remember that generally their selection on lenses will be less than the other brands.

If you could be a bit more specific about what exactly you'll be photographing, I'd be glad to recommend a few lenses.

Hope that I helped,
-Evan

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:42 pm 
So - again with my typical response to anyone looking for a new camera. Entry level DSLRs are pretty much even across the varying brands. One is not categorically "better" than another. IQ is similar, with some arguable variances in build quality and feature set.

The best and most reliable way to decide is to get them in your hands at a proper camera shop and take some shots with each of your candidate cameras. Ergonomics have a huge impact on whether you will actually be comfortable with any given camera or not.

Being new to SLR shooting, you may want to consider enrolling in a local introductory camera class --- some will either loan or provide students with a rental option to help them decide what they want in the end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:30 pm 

Oops, I forgot to mention ergonomics!

As Jwnrw mentioned, they're a huge part of buying a camera. If you don't like the feel of one camera's ergonomics, how would you like carrying it around all day? I personally hate the feel of Canon DSLRs in my hands, however I know lots of people who hate the feel of Nikon DSLRs. It's all a personal think. If you can't get your hands on a rental, at least try to go to a camera store and try them all out before you buy one.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:44 am 

+1 for going into a shop holding the camera and trying to change settings. You may find you prefer one menu system over another or one set of ergonomics over another.

Most manufacturers (and third parties) will supply a wide enough range of features, lenses and accessories to cover most situations.

http://keystrokesukimages.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:56 pm 

Adding my voice to the chorus for what it's worth, in terms of feature sets, there's not a huge difference between the models in the low end of the market. I don't think anybody can tell you without sparking a debate that one brand is better than another in every way.

The way the camera feels and how you get along with its menu may help you decide better than a dry list of features unless you felt one of those features as absolutely essential.

Echoing EvanK's comment, when I narrowed my options down to the Canon EOS 550D and the Nikon D5000, I opted for the 550D because I much preferred the way it feels in my hand (the Nikon felt somewhat unnatural) and I find its menu more accessible but as EvanK said, it's a personal thing. As everybody else has said, you're best off going to a photography or CE store to get a feel of them.

I wouldn't solely depend on the offerings from Canikon. The two brands may arguably dominate the market but their cameras aren't for everybody. Sony and Pentax make cameras as well and both have a good range of lenses and accessories (their own brand and third-party) as a strong community following.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the four major brands. The question is more about which you feel most comfortable using.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:38 pm 
Pentax has a good range of lenses...:) that's funny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:03 pm 
Case in point vis-a-vis ergonomics - of the many DSLRs which I have held over the years, my e620 still feels the best of them all to me. Part of it is due to the Super Control Panel - a marvel in interface technology, imo. And part of it is due to how solid it feels in hand.

My daughter loathes my e620 and feels her D3100 is right for her, and my wife simply doesn't like the feel of any DSLR -- too much for her -- a Pen or Sony NEX is what she is most comfortable with.

ymmv.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:06 pm 

Razvan wrote:
Pentax has a good range of lenses...:) that's funny

As you seem to be fond of keenly observing, I mentioned third party i.e. not Pentax's own lenses but rather those manufactured by another vendor but they are compatible with Pentax bodies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:16 pm 
Im quite envious of some lenses Pentax makes, a 35mm 1:1 macro lens, a DX f2.8 standard zoom for only £600, the 50-135, the pancake lenses they make.

Echoing the above though, ergonomics are everything IMHO, all of today's DSLRs have top notch IQ and features

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:53 am 
I know,just wanted to make a humorous comment :)