Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:25 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:52 am 
Hello,

I currently own and LOVE my d90, along with the sb600 flash and various lenses i own (18-105 kit, 70-300 zoom, 50mm 1.8, 35mm 1.8).

Unfortunately I hurt my back, and can no longer hold up my camera for more than 15 - 20 mins without serious back pain. The d90 with the sb600 and even a prime lens gets quite heavy. thus i need to replace the d90 atleast for a couple of years. I have my first child coming in a month so i want to buy a replacement soon so that i can get used to it.

should i go down to a d3100 and sacrifice some features for weight (even then the flash and lenses are heavy)?

should i go to a panasonic gh2, the body and lenses are all quite a bit lighter and i hear the pic quality is still great?

should i go to a nex5, where manual control is tough, but the sensor and picture quality i hear is better than the gh2?

Thanks for your help!

Jay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:57 am 

Hi Jay welcome aboard
Sorry to hear about your back problems.

I would think that there is so many capable compact camera`s around that you get one too suit, ie S95, LX5 etc.
Use it for most of your photos when portability is likely to be a concern.

You can still use your Nikon and you will appreciate it for photos of your child, just don`t take it when you need to use it for any length of time. The 3100 will still be a reasonable weight.
Going to a new system seems over the top when you have an existing system. But then I don`t fully appreciate the trouble you back is causing you.

Also we really get a lot out of our HD video cam, its always sitting around to capture the kids during those funny moments. Maybe adding one of those and a good compact maybe a good option.

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:07 am 
Hello Max! Thanks for the Welcome! I've found so many answers over the past two years in these forums that i never really had to join until now!

Also, Thanks for the advice, I will definitely take it into consideration!

I initially thought i was over reacting, but lately I have noticed myself avoiding taking my camera out just because of the weight and back pain from use of it. Thats when i decided something must be done, I dont want to give up taking pictures at such a crucial time. I am going to look into the D3100/D5100 in terms of weight as well. regardless, i was going to keep the d90 around for when my back gets better (love it too much) !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:59 am 

having recently gotten over a shoulder injury I can appreciate the problems off weight. Try wrestling a 3 year old boy into a car seat with one good arm.

Where are you located, have you got a decent shop around to handle a few bodies?

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:03 am 
i'm in Toronto, Canada, so there are quite a few shops around, but very few have the rarely found Panasonic GH2! I had one shop order it in for me to try out over the weekend. I just don't expect it to live up to expectations, i hear the m4/3's have really weak jpegs, and i dont look forward to editing ALL the pics in raw format!

I have handled a D5000 before, so i imagine the D5100 shouldn't be much different! and even though its very similar to the now outdated d90, it just feels like a downgrade!

I have handled an nex3, but not yet an nex5. but these are both so small, my giant hands dont know where to go when using it!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:54 pm 

BTW - just for information, the NEX systems are not really any different or any harder for manual control than most other entry DSLRs or mirrorless cameras. They WERE when they first came out, and if you tried them in the store, you unfortunately tried the camera with the original firmware (which stinks). Sony has released 4 firmware versions so far for the camera, and firmware 3 was the most vital one (firmware 4 will give you all updates from the previous firmware).

With the firmware update, the NEX allows you to customize buttons...in so doing, you can actually have 6 of the most important and vital controls of your choice with seperate direct one-button access on the camera body. It looks like you only have 2 buttons, but there are actually 7 of them. The way my NEX is set up, I have the following controls on my camera body: drive mode, ISO, White Balance, Aperture control ring, metering mode, focus area, flash control, and DRO/HDR access. And what's more, the one button that must stay - MENU - will remember the last command you were in...so it acts almost like another control button, since you can always access one more important function (like shoot mode - PASM) with a quick touch.

Just wanted to set that straight - Sony doesn't update firmware for any cameras in the store, so it's a very poor representation of how the camera actually works once the firmware is updated.

As for what camera to get - that's a tough choice for you. I posted to another board you inquired on, and my advice is the same: be sure to handle them before buying to find something comfortable in your hand that doesn't cause strain or pain. Try different ways of shooting - such as waist-level with live view, and see if that would be easier. Some last-gen mirrorless cameras are cheap enough to maybe even be worth picking up and keeping your D90 - use the lighter small camera until you are in better shape, then keep it as a lightweight second body to your D90.

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:04 am 
So I bought the gh2 today used it for half an hour, then packed it up to return it... So disappointed! They wouldnt let me turn it on in the store so I had to actually buy the damn thing!

Few things... EVF was a complete disaster! Holy wow the optical on the d90 is better! I'd rather just not use it... It lagged in low light and what you see is not what you get! The autofocus in low light also was not great... I heard this camera had amazing autofocus, but it still didn't compare to the speedy autofocus of my d90 in low light! The lens was really slow! oh and the low light pictures are horrid!

Anyway I think after this Experience I am gonna go ahead with the nex5. The d5100 was not that much different from the d90 Really.

The nex was ridiculously light and while no viewfinder, the screen is sharp and fast and the camra takes pictures REALLY fast! Te quality was good and I didn't feel like throwing it at the wall! Plus with the adapter and firmware update now Sony sam and ssm lenses auto focus with the nex also!

Thanks for all of your advice guys!

Thanks for all your advice guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:50 pm 

"They wouldnt let me turn it on in the store so I "....SHOULD HAVE WALKED OUT!!!
I would have anyway.

Here's a cheap solution from someone who just got through 19 months with a frozen shoulder and uses a 500mm....

Monopod/Bi-pod

Primo's makes a shooting stick for rifles that is telescopic and can be extended/adjusted with a simple pull of the trigger.
Rest cam ontop of it and you are pretty much good to go.
You can get them in Mono/Bi or Tri made of carbon composite material which is quite light yet very sturdy/rugged.
I believe the "V" atop it is removable and you could mount a camera mount on there I believe (don't quote me on that bit) but
I find the "V" on my monopod sufficent with the bigger lens but at least a bi-pod would have done better for stability in low light.
In low light I usually sit and rest my elbows on my knees as well as rest the lens on the stick.

http://www.cabelas.com/shooting-sticks-bipods-primos-trigger-stick-8482-2.shtml

Hope your back heals.