Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:15 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:30 am 
I am looking to get a DSLR for the main purpose of shooting landscape shots. I have been doing some research and I think that the Pentax K20D looks pretty good but I honestly have no idea. From what I've read for sharp landscape shots you need good stabilization and color modes? I want to keep it around $500 for body and lens. I know that may be difficult, but I've never used a DSLR before and I'm really just wanting something that will take decent photos and can learn with.

Thanks for any input.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:02 am 

for landscape shots you need wide angle lens, tripod and remote shutter release, image stabilization and color modes are not that necessary since you need to process images on computer and use tripod...

add me up on:

flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bakica/

deviant art:
http://tbensic.deviantart.com/

----:>bakice ce vladati svjetom<:----

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:48 am 

Hi TheColding,

May I wish you a warm welcome to the CameraLabs forum.

Whichever camera you choose bear in mind that you are likely to stick with that manufacturer for some time as you'll want your next camera body to be able to use any extra lenses you might buy.

You have a good number of choices, as this Amazon search shows. Pick one that feels comfortable in your hands as well as satisfying your technical requirements. The micro four-thirds offerings (Panasonic and Olympus) have sensors with a 4:3 aspect ratio rather than the more panoramic 3:2 aspect ratio used by the others. Nothing wrong with that provided it suits your intended style of photography. And if you want a tie breaker then bear in mind that wide angle shots with good sharpness and large depth of field are often a common recipe for landscapes so if you are stuck then head on over either to Gordon's own lens reviews or PhotoZone and choose the camera with the kit lens that offers the sharpest resolution right out to the edges of the frame when stopped down to about f/8, particularly when zoomed to the shorter focal lengths.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.