Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:20 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:58 pm 
I'm looking to buy my first DSLR. I know next to nothing about photography but I am looking for a budget DSLR with the following:

- good build quality
- good continuous
- good in low light
- easy to use as a beginner
- bot sure I care about video but I might use it

My two choices are the Canon T2i 550D or the NikonD 3100. My budget might stretch to the D90 but that wouldn't leave much for a case, lens or card.

I've been favouring the D3100 as I had a Nikon coolpix a while ago and liked it, even though the on/off switch broke before the camera died.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:00 pm 
Had to cut short my post as my phone started playing up.

I've read some reviews of the D3100 and the T2i and they're about even. Are their build quality similar?

Would one fit my requirements better than the other?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:04 pm 
You may want to book into a local camera shop intro to photography class. They will often rent cameras for you to try out during the class time.

Insofar as Canon vs Nikon -- you will find lots of varying opinions depending on individual preferences. Personally, I think Nikon's entry level DSLRs are better built than Canon, but find that Canon have a better all-round feature set. One isn't necessarily better than the other - they are targeting the market differently, that's all. Get them both in your hands - never rely entirely on 3rd party reviews or recommendations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:26 pm 

As jwnrw said, you're much better off trying both cameras out - no fanboy plug of Canon or Nikon will mean anything if you find the camera they hail as the greatest thing since sliced bread doesn't feel comfortable in your hands or if you find its menu clunky and frustrating to use.

If by "good in low light" you mean it isn't practical to use a tripod or you want to minimise the amount of noise by bumping up the ISO sensitivity as little as possible, the lens you use will be critical.

Out of interest, did you not consider Sony or Pentax? Both brands have a wide selection of home-grown and third-party lenses and in terms of continuous shooting, their entry level models are faster than Canikon's offerings (Yes, I know Sony's A33 is not a DSLR by definition).

CSCs: Panasonic DMC-GF3
Lenses: Panasonic Lumix G 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:20 am 
For what its worth, I bought both the T1 and the D90 when i couldnt decide, along with messing with my best friends Sony A500.

I kept the d90 based simply on ergonomics more than anything. At the end of the day, the camera that feels best in your hands is the one to keep. I feel that keeping my D90 was the best decision i ever made. My friend hates it and loves his Sony A500 based on the fact that his fingers are too small to reach all of the buttons on my D90!

IQ-wise, save up and buy an external flash! thats the other investment i'm glad i got talked into! the flash on your camera is next to useless... trust me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:35 am 
Thanks for the advice. I couldn't decide based on specifications alone, but one important factor led me to choose the D90; how much better it fits my hands. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:44 am 

Great choice, ergonomics and build are very important aspects of a camera, what good is it to use if you can't even fit it nicely in your hands? You'll love the dedicated buttons and top LCD display of the D90, it's truly an excellent camera even though it's nearly three years old.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:46 pm 

Ive got a d90 and its awesome, get some good lenses and itll you wont need to upgrade for years