Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:15 am 

Quote:
there's no third party lens sharper than the nikon 35mm f/1.8

Sigma's older 30mm f/1.4 is somewhere around the same sharpness level, plus it adds much better bokeh and a larger aperture. You do however need to keep in mind that it's a fair bit more expensive than the Nikon.

Regarding 35mm lenses, I've heard that Tokina's 35mm f/2.8 macro is another great inexpensive prime if you're looking for something for closeups.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:11 am 
Agree with the bokeh remark,that Sigma shines for a wide prime lens. But the Nikon has much better sharpness across the frame.
It's a tradeoff...brighter aperture + better bokeh vs. better sharpness + better price. The Nikon also focuses faster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:44 pm 
So today I went to the store and i tried all the cameras we are talking about: I fell in love with the Nikon D90.
The viewfinder is so much wider and brighter and its body feels a way better in my hands than the nikon D5100 or the Canon T3i.
Since those 3 cameras cost nearly the same here, I might be buying the Nikon D90.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:08 pm 
And there you have it -- the camera that feels best in your hands is the one which you will gravitate to - reviews and opinions notwithstanding.

Frankly the D90 is a great camera -- and the one I almost purchased 2 years ago. Were I purchasing today, I am pretty confident that it would be my choice for a number of reasons -- the main one being, I like how it feels in my hands, and the controls work well for me personally.