Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:54 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:11 pm 

Ok, first thing first. I made an idiot out of myself when I was putting in the focus screen I recently bought.
I actually managed to start at the wrong end of the camera, somehow...
When you remove the lens and hold the camera upright, the focus screen is just under the prism at the top. My brain probably got confused when I held the camera upside down and thought otherwise.

So, I actually managed to rip out a flat copper cable which is connected between communication pins that goes to the lens and the bottom PCB inside the camera. I did not know this before I dismantling the camera, but I hoped that would be the mistake. (I work with electronics, so I have some experience with it)

I did not intend for a full walk through of how to dismantle the camera, but I took some pictures in the process.

To prepare for the process looked though some pictures of how to dismantle a 5D MKII which is basically the same.

Carefully tear of all the rubber around the camera. Try not to touch the areas where the rubber was. And start taking of every screw that is clearly holding the part, be it the front, back, beneath etc.

When taking of the back part, where the screen is. Pay extra attention to this cable. Gingerly pry it of with a small flat screw driver. The cable is fairly long so reversing the process is no problem.

SORT the screws! This will save you much trouble, because then you will know which screw goes to which part. It is easy to tell the different screws apart being if the are for metal or plastic.

To reach this metal bottom plate, you need to take of both the front and back first. The plastic bottom plate is sandwiched between front and back.

And here is the culprit!

Insert it gently into the contact again.

And hey presto, the camera can talk to the lens again! :D

And in the end a little disclaimer!
I am not a Canon employer, nor do I repair consumer goods as a job, only when I think I am able to do it myself.
I had all the necessary tools for this job, which is just a little assortment of screwdrivers.
I took great care when handling the camera, with regards to ESD(Electro Static Discharge) and general cleanliness.

The job was however not hard, this is something everyone with a steady hand and some tools can manage.
This also shows how nice Canon has put the camera together in terms of repairability.

Lastly, I would only do something like this myself if:
1. the warranty was already voided because of time.
2. the mistake was caused by me, like here.
3. in dire need of having a working camera.
4. not wanting to have to deal with Canon repair.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:00 pm 

Noooooo!!!!!!
I regard these images with the same horror as I would if I were shown photographs of the autopsy of a much loved relative. They make my eyes hurt. The idea of approaching my beloved 7D with a scredriver in my hand is incomprehensible!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:42 pm 

I like these photos. If I were confident in my ability to reassemble my 7D afterwards, I would've taken it apart as soon as I got it, just to see the parts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:00 pm 

:shock: I will echo what Brian Harmer said!

I am lost with electronics. I am better with mechanical things, but still, must be careful, as I think I can break an anvil. This is why I am waiting for a user's guide to arrive in the mail, before attempting anything with a pre-owned Nikon SLR that I just obtained through evil-bay.

I am truly glad some folks are gifted with electronics in this way.

Canon 7D/5D/40D/1D2N; Nikon F6, D700, FM3A, & Coolpix A; Canon 40mm 2.8 STM, 135L, 50L, 35L, 50mm 1.8 I, 100mm 2.8L Macro, 10-22mm EF-S, 28-135 EF, 400mm 5.6L; Nikkor 50mm 1.2 AI-S, 50mm 1.4G, 50mm 1.8D, 16mm 2.8D Fisheye, 180mm 2.8D, 100-300mm 5.6 AI-S, 18mm 2.8D, Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 SL II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:00 pm 

Brian Harmer,
Would you rather have an almost non working 7D?
I realised that I was thoroughly upset that I managed to mess something up on my dear camera, so I had to fix it instantly!

Honestly, I was in the end relieved of how easy and smoothly the whole job went. And now I know that almost whatever that might break on it in the future I can probably fix it myself.

DIY is something I greatly approve of though ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:04 pm 

Of course a non-working 7D is not an option. For me, however, the choice is only between "authorised Canon repair" or "some other EXPERT repair".

I am full of admiration for your achievement, but certain that if I tried it, the moment I got the first piece off, some vital piece would spring out, break, or otherwise refuse to go back where it came from :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:09 pm 

I understand you though, it's not always sunshine and daisies when DIY'ing, the nerves are usually close at hand.

But practice helps ^^

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:05 am 

I'm suitably impressed. I dropped my Canon 7D and need to dismantle it to check for internal damage. I managed to remove the back okay but the base and front cover screw locations are a mystery to me. The three on the front are obvious but nothing comes free after their removal. Any advice would be most appreciated.
(So far I have been unable to locate disassembly information or a service manual for the 7D.)
Thanks in anticipation - Brian

Since looking more closely at the photos I noticed that the stick-on rubber grips had been removed. When I did this the remaining screws were exposed and further dismantling was not a problem. I noted that one of the screws is longer than the other four.
I have replaced the bottom metal plate and the back complete with LCD screen and all is working again except for the electronic level and auto rotate. I guess the drop must have damaged the sensing device, wherever that may be.
Hopefully this may help someone in the same predicament that I was in.

Last edited by skypilot on Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:36 am 

Without knowing more about the damage you think your camera has endured. Is there anything clearly wrong with it after the drop? If there are no faults, don't take it apart.

I used a Canon 5D MkII disassembly guide to help me on the way:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOb55J09wbU