Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:42 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:58 pm 
Hey, all!
Been away from AP for some time due to schedules and health issues, but I'm now trying to get back into things :)

Now for my question:

Is there an easy way to align .jpg images for stacking?

Here's my situation:
I have two dozen plus .jpg images of the Moon that I would like to use in RegiStax 6. However, since the photos were taken without using a tracking mount, the Moon is all over the frame, from pic to pic. It seems that RegiStax does not like that - the final stacked result resembles a jigsaw puzzle. :(

Is there any way to maybe pre-align the images so that RegiStax doesn't throw a fit when I process them? Or is there a setting that I'm missing that could fix this mess?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:46 pm 

Unfortunately Im not that good with Registax. As I understand it though you can manually select alignment points (either single of multiple) so, for example, you can pick a obvious feature such as a crater.

What Im not so sure about is whether you need to pick the same feature in every frame or whether Registax searches for that feature. I can imagine picking the same feature in 1000+ files from an avi could be quite time consuming!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:08 pm 

Hi FTWalker,

I've only used RegiStax once in anger (v5) but isn't there a setting or settings that allow you to change the size of the box that RegiStax uses when searching matches?

But with only two dozen images to work with you might find it easier to load each one into your favourite photo-editor and crop to a standard size with the Moon central in each.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:08 pm 

I never had much luck with Registax and large (high MP) files. I think this might be more something for Iris to chew on.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:28 pm 

oooohhh Iris, now there is a challenge, lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:36 pm 
@ Bob -
I tried the crop route (with maybe 5 frames)... didn't seem to help any :(

@ popo & Digz -
I'm really rusty with Iris - I use DSS primarily now - but I might give it a shot when I've got the time to read up on it again.

A further to Digs -
I still need to play with Registax a bit, because I don't know if alignment points even can be set per frame. I played around with it a bit, and didn't see a way of doing it.

I just wish that my Sony - my only cam that does .mov files - allowed a greater zoom & greater resolution... it'd make things a lot easier.

Floyd.