Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:10 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:14 pm 

I was discussing with a friend last night on how to choose a camera, and I advised that he looked at all relevant models within his price range before making the decision.

He mainly uses a bridge, but has borrowed a Nikon D80 and likes it. This is a mid range camera in my opinion, although it may compare to some of the consumer series.

His budget is £2000 for the whole lot, so I had a look around.

Canon
60D or 7D

Well, I decided that the 7D would be too advanced really, after all this is a semi pro camera. So it was the 60D.

Nikon
D90 or D300S

The D300S is really for advanced users and professionals, so the D90 was the winner there.

He looked at the catologue pictures on Jessops, and although I think the Canon is a better camera, he preferred the look of the Nikon D90, which is what I expected, considering that he is currently a Nikon user, with the borrowed camera.

The reason why I think that the Canon is better, is because it is newer, there are more pixels there, it has the latest video recording functionality and more.

I know that he should really hold them first, which I shall be pointing out when I speak to him later on today. When I bought the 500D, I did not hold it, but I had used the 350D prior to that, so it somewhat acceptable.

Like I said in one of my previous threads, I think Canon is making the styling a bit ugly now, especially with buttons of different shapes and sizes. I like the 500D layout, but not many of the rest of them.

Nikon people, bare with me, I am not too fluent with the models as I am a Canon user, so feel free to correct any points made.

I know that we should not judge cameras on pixels always, but Nikon only giving 12MP when Canon can provide 15 or 18 seems funny really.

I think it is about the look that you want to achieve though and what floats your boat.

I have looked at some sample images that he took on the D80 (I think with a kit lens), and they don't look too different to consumer DSLRs. Saying that though, there is an age difference between models.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:19 pm 
It's not a fair comparisson,you should have chosen the 60D vs. the D7000. :) I would chose the Nikon,because the sensor is lovely,the AF system is very good & the ergonomics are very nice. (more of a subjective factor anyway)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:55 pm 

like said, 60d to d90 is not a fair comparison d7000 would be better example..

he should choose the camera by his own feel, d90 can make great images, as well as 60d can but all you have to do is use it the proper way... (also worth noting that d80 can do the same) and even 1d m4 will make consumer like photos if you don't know how to use it... example: digitalrev pro camera noob photographer vid...

back on topic.. i would suggest your friend to take all cameras and feel them, menu, try shooting for a bit (changing the settings while shooting) and stuff like that, IQ will be the same bit with all, and pixels seriously don't matter (to use all 18mp of the 60d properly you will need superb L glass in front)..

add me up on:

flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bakica/

deviant art:
http://tbensic.deviantart.com/

----:>bakice ce vladati svjetom<:----

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:51 pm 

Each person should decide what they need from a camera, and find the one that gives them what they want. I'd also say it's dangerous as a friend helping another friend buy something - if they become unhappy with it, you're the first person that's going to hear about it! ;)

Megapixels might be important to you, for some reason. For me, I consider megapixels to be just about the very very last thing I consider on a DSLR. It is one of the least important things for me. Most important for me is dynamic range, color fidelity, high ISO ability, focus speed and accuracy, continuous shooting speed and buffer size, ergonomics, and lenses. Other factors are battery life, live view, and any key features which make the camera more useful for me, such as stabilization, histograms, tilting LCDs, battery life percent-remaining meters, in-camera stacking and HDR, dual card slots...all of those were things that helped guide me to the right camera for me. I don't recall ever even considering megapixels as a factor - anything over 10mp is pretty much enough for me - I'd take more, but only if they could be offered in a non-compromising way. Quite a few cameras have raised the MP only to end up with other IQ issues - so only when the larger MP sensors have been sorted out and seem to deliver all the other important factors like DR and ISO along with the additional resolution will I consider them to be an advantage.

I personally find it's best to be open minded to the whole market - there are 4 very good DSLR brands out there, and all make excellent cameras, each with particular advantages for different shooters. I certainly don't want to guide a friend towards the brand I shoot with unless I know they specifically want or need the same set of features, and abilities, and are most comfortable with the camera in their hands. I've got friends who, using me for information and resource in my camera experience or knowledge, who ended up getting Canons, Nikons, and Sonys. I avoided pushing them towards a brand, because it really should be up to each person to make that decision and get the right camera for them.

I can do with my Sony what I could not with a Canon or Nikon. I'm quite sure a friend of mine who gets excellent shots with his Nikon would struggle to get the same from a Canon or Sony. Ergonomics is key - we feel comfortable and instinctive with our cameras, and enjoy shooting with them - so we learn how best to control them and get the most out of them. We take advantage of unique controls or settings or abilities of our cameras to get the shots we do.

So I'd say - inform your friend that there are two more manuacturers out there to consider, so they have even greater range of models, designs, and features to choose from, then encourage them to ultimately pick the camera that has the right features and feels comfortable in their hands. If it's a Canon, you can be secretly happy that they went with your brand...if they choose Nikon, you can have fun competitions and take friendly jabs at eachother. If they choose Sony or Pentax, you can un-friend them and never talk to them again. :)

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:33 pm 

The Nikon prime is only £200

Do they not have equivalents of the Canon L series though?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:15 pm 

what do you mean they don't have? nikon has basically the same glass as canon but just doesn't call them L or non L...

add me up on:

flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bakica/

deviant art:
http://tbensic.deviantart.com/

----:>bakice ce vladati svjetom<:----

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:02 am 

Nikon has L lens equivalents, such as the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II which is equivalent to Canon's 70-200mm f/2.8 IS L. The difference between the two brands is mainly that Nikon doesn't give their more expensive, professional lenses a special name like the Canon "L" Luxury lenses. Nikon gives the same names to their 24-70 f/2.8 lenses as they do to their 18-55 kits.

By the way, which "£200" prime are you talking about? Nikon's 35mm 1.8 DX prime is excellent for DX users, and the 50mm 1.8 is great for portraits on DX. Those two (which I would highly recommend) run for around £200 ($300).

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams