Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:39 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:52 am 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, this is the official thread for the final mission of the Space Shuttle, STS-135. Please add any news, photos, comments or anything else relevant to this mission.

I'm going to attempt to view the launch once again, so will update this thread with news on that particular mission!

I'll publish my photos, videos and experiences on my Space Shuttle Atlantis launch photography page!

Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Laing on Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:29 am 
Ah, just the person I wanted to ask. Trey Ratcliff sent me to you via a comment on his post from June 28th. But I suppose anyone who knows the area is welcome to respond.

I am heading down to Florida and have never visited the state before. It's completely coincidental that the launch is on my last day in the state. I had no idea when I booked the vacation, but I figure since I'm down there I might as well try and catch it if I can.

I was just wondering if anyone here knows the area fairly well and could offer some advice towards a good location to see the launch and maybe grab a few shots. I've only got a nikon d3100 and a cheapo 55-300mm telephoto so nothing special.

I was thinking the Cocoa Beach area might be good, but honestly I've just looked at Google maps to find locations in the proximity of the launch site.

Thanks a bunch!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:16 am 
Site Admin

Hi Phogropathy, welcome on-board!

I remember seeing your comment, and think I replied there, but just briefly, in the absence of a Causeway ticket, I would probably head to Titusville and park up at the side of the road at somewhere there is access to get through and view.

Be warned though, there'll be loads of people with the same idea, so try and scout out a location at least one day before to check out access and whether the view is uninterrupted, and also get there early on the day as people WILL start arriving very early.

Just look out for the ominous - and omnipresent - cube shape of the NASA VAB on the horiozn and the launch pad will be visible to one side. So you'll know if you'll see it from launch.

There's a good page about launch photography and locations here:

http://www.launchphotography.com/Shuttl ... ewing.html

As you'll see, Cocoa Beach may be a nice play to stay and visit, but you won't have an uninterrupted view of the Shuttle on the pad as it launches - see this photo http://www.pbase.com/maderik/image/23578384

Be sure to let us know how you get on - and post your photos here!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:19 am 
Thanks so much! I had a feeling it was going to be epically packed there, hopefully I can get up and out the door at the crack of dawn maybe I'll try and get some sunrise photos in as well.

It's a long way out and I'm still not 100% sure of all my plans, but I'm going to definitely try my best to get a good view and some photos and if I do I'll definitely share them here!

Thanks again
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:21 pm 

Hi Gordon,

Just watched your video and it is truly "Magnificent", great job as they would say in Florida!

Canon EOS 30/33 and Pentax MX/ME Super

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:18 pm 
Amazing video, congrats.

Glad you like brazillian music.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:34 pm 
Wow Gordon what a great video!Didnt know you were so into NASA stuff and it was sad seeing that you missed the last launch.Im confident you will get to see the launch this time,you deserve it after what you went through hehe.Cant wait for another equipment video,although I guess you will have the same gear right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:26 pm 

Bonjour Gordon,

Congratulations for the beautiful and entertaining video about the STS-135 shuttle launch :!:

I wish I could see one. As you do, I watch mostly the NASA podcasts and TV.

Now, do you plan to buy a ticket on the coming Virgin Galactic flight :?:

I'm just half-kiding :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:23 pm 
I applaud your efforts!

I just live up the road from Florida,...and after all these years,..I still never got to see one..

Was going to like 10 times,..but,..since I can drive it in a few hours,..weather,delays,...etc,...SOMETHING,...just never works out for me.

Good luck,...Godspeed,...and I hope it goes off without any issues or delays!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:57 pm 

A record crowd is expected to view this launch since it's the last - might even break the Apollo 11 record.

It's just too bad there won't be any more shuttle launches...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:22 am 
Site Admin

Yes, my equipment bag will look much the same as last time!

PS - Rei, with all these flights back and forth to FLorida from NZ, plus delays, I may as well have just bought a Virgin Galactic ticket! Probably about the same price!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:43 pm 

Hi folks,

You can download the STS 135 press kit by clicking on this link (PDF file, 34MB). I've only had the briefest of looks through it so far but it's packed with information, and I do mean packed, and not just about this mission! Highly recommended. 8)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:01 am 
Gordon,

My husband and I will be on the causeway as well. We are flying in from Maryland on Wed. night.

Have you checked out the location on where you will set up? What camera gear will you have this time?

We will have a 500mm and a 600mm both with converters. It would be great to meet you.

Fingers are crossed that we have a successful launch on Friday, can't wait!

Kelly and Robert
Northeast Bay Photography
www.northeastbay.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:12 am 

Excellent video, Gordon!

I was in Kennedy around this time last year, it was a very good experience, but it looks like I'll never catch a shuttle launch. It's too bad, I've always wanted to see one but now it's over... :cry:

Well, hopefully whatever the future of space travel holds will have a better alternative, I've seen some neat concepts that could be pretty good successors to the space shuttles.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:30 pm 
Hey Gordon, thanks for sharing your wonderful journey to the last Space Shuttles..I'm fascinated by space too (still remember building a Space Shuttle Lego kit and endlessly reading the 3 space books available in my local library as a kid). My heart breaks every time I see the footage of the Apollo missions and I have to live with the fact I wasn't born yet, lol.

I love your recent "reportage" videos, keep em coming. Good luck on STS-135, the countdown has started! Have fun and God speed!