Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:40 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: pentax kr or nikon d3100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:53 pm 
hi everybody

i ve narrowed down my choice to those to camera

pentax kr

and

nikon d3100

and am so so so confused what to pick. since am going to do portraits . indoor , landscapes and rarely low light shots .

may be or maybe not those 2 cameras are not the right pick for my requirements
but i want to know which one is better for me in term of what i am going to use them for..

note :
i ve heard that the pentax kr can take so many old lenses and has great quality though am sitll confused in what is better for me

plz plz plz help u guys in picking my choice and give me reasons . and i would be gr
ateful i
f u do .

thanks in advance
i look forward to hear reply from you .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:05 pm 
guys there are 37 views and no reply plz help me out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:41 pm 
Site Admin

I can't help as Pentax don't send their cameras in for test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:14 am 
go with the nikon d3100. better lenses & better prices for lenses,much better customer service & a lot of possible upgrades.
don't bother with old pentax lenses,they are very rare & most of them are inferior for today's standards.

Last edited by Razvan on Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:04 am 
I agree with both of them. You can use old Pentax lenses on the KR but they will be manual focus which doesn't always give you fast results in some applications. Even portraiture. I've been a Pentax user for 4 years now, It was the company I went for first because of that same reason, now I am switching to Nikon. Pentax equipment is not really as available as Canon or Nikon. A friendly word of advice, go with the Nikon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:44 pm 

Hello

I don't know where you are based but the Pentax customer service I received (in the UK)when my K10D developed a fault (possibly due to the alcohol induced meeting with the floor) was first rate.

The camera was sent to Pentax, repaired and returned within 7 days - free of charge. :D :D I believe that in New Zealand Pentax are a bit thin on the ground :roll:

In terms of what you can achieve with a Pentax and some old 'inferior' lenses feel free to take a peek at my flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/10126769@N05/ - maybe not the best example but an example none the less.

There are many excellent older lenses around at reasonable prices if you are patient.

I don't know the Nikon D3100 but in recent years the entry level Nikons have had no af motor in the camera and so all lenses have to contain the motor (if you want af) and they have the price to go with them - worth knowing this before purchasing as for example, as far as I am aware a budget telephoto such as the sigma or Tamron 70-300 suddenly become twice or three times the price when you need the one with the motor in it :evil: - at this point the Pentax or other bodies containing an af motor may start to look more favourable :wink:

My advice would be to go and handle each camera - you may find that you just love one more than the other - you may not.

Also ask what you want/ expect to achieve with your camera - my K10D works well with a varierty of lenses and even sets the exposure automatically whilst using m42 lenses etc, others you have to press the green button for this - I believe that othe rmanufacturers don't have the same compatibility but I could be wrong.

Sony carries over a Konica/ minolta moutn and also has a number of older lenses to play with.

My personal thought on the matter is that I can buy cheap old lens of a given length to play with before deciding if I want to upgrade to a much more expensive modern option - it's nice to have the choice. :D

Nikon of course have a more extensive lens range than Pentax, most notably at the longer end, however, I don't have £6,000 for a Nikon 500mm f4 or £3,849 for the (Pentax compatible) Sigma 500mm F4.5 so this does not matter to me - if it does to you and you may have that kind of cash for that kind of lens you know which camp to park up in :D

Hope this helps :D

PS don't be swayed by the badge, pick whichever camera suits you best and of course check out all of the options :roll: check out as many as you can - you never know a Canon maybe the one that feels 'best in hand' for you - who knows :D

Regards

Stu.

My pic's - http://www.flickr.com/photos/10126769@N05/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:50 am 
thanks guys for help i really appreciated

regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:42 am 
Hards sorry I was slow noticing your post or I would have been in boots and all :)
Stu gives good advice.
My daughter has the K-x and my girlfriend the K-r. They are both very happy with the cameras. The daughter is currently touring Europe with it. I am stunned by the fantastic shots she is consistently getting.
The K-r is doing very well for the girlfriend who lives in the Cook Islands. She is getting great scenery shots with very natural rich colours . Very good at high iso with little noise.
They are both using the kit 18-55 which is reviewed as being better than most.
My daughter is smitten with macro after I gave here a 35 year old Tamron 90mm. The ability to used old Pentax glass is great too.
I enjoy using Super Takumar lens picked up on auctions. The shake reduction is in the body so every lens is thus shake reduced.

You might want to compare which Nikon and Pentax lenses you might need.
The camera is just the start of the spending :)

have fun
Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:03 pm 

Thanks Pete, I do my best :D

My pic's - http://www.flickr.com/photos/10126769@N05/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:06 pm 
I don't think he's coming back, maybe went to the dark side :D

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:52 pm