Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:46 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:01 pm 
Folks, could you have a look at the following images and offer up any advice that might spring to mind.

At the weekend we were camping at the beach in Oman. Overnight a female turtle came up the beach, dug a hole and laid her eggs. Below are the photos I took in the morning.

Problem is that I don't think they do justice to what should be a pretty cool subject and I was wondering what advice the folks here could give to help me out with future opportunities.

Photos were taken on my 550D with the 18-135 kit lens. Shot as JPG then cropped and tinkered with a bit in Picasa. Photos are hyperlinked to the EXIF data on Picasa.

I'm not a very good editor hence the many photos here.

All thoughts gratefully recieved

More photos here https://picasaweb.google.com/iangandert ... directlink

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:18 am 

Ian,

The shots look soft to me and blown out. It seems to be a bright sunny day after 1pm and you used a wide aperture 4-4.5 with 1/60s speed, did you use a manual setting for these shots. Are you using a UV filter on the lens, this may help if your not. Some -EV would help with the blown out sky.

It depend on your camera as to what EV is best, I always have mine set on -0.3EV and in the case of a beach I would use -0.7EV or more. In this case I would have used around f8 in app mode and let the camera work out the speed, many may disagree with these setting. I would suggest shooting scenes at different setting and find out which one suits you.

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:46 am 

Ian

Have a play with a free trial of Colour Efex from Nik Software. These photos will get some extra pop by using the Pro Contrast and then Tonal Contrast presets, which you can then tweak to your liking. That's as long as you've got Elements or full Photoshop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:47 pm 
Cool, thanks for the replies folks

I haven't got any of the Adobe software products as yet but I know its inevitable!!!

What are your thoughts on the composition and focusing (DOF etc)?

Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:22 am 

I found this an interesting read on composition.

http://ronbigelow.com/articles/adv_comp/adv_comp.htm

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:22 am 

Personally, in the first couple shots, I find that the people and the tents are a bit distracting. The second shot does seem to work with the heavy vignetting - I like!