Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:30 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:35 pm 
My first shot a blurring water falls and I would like some feedback on what everyone thinks of it. I know its a bit overexposed and that I need some kind of N.D. filter. I also figure you have tips and suggestion I could use. I'm just getting out of point and shoot and into real photography so I'm like a sponge ready to soak up everything!... I used a Olimpus E-410 with a kit lens.
ISO: 100
Exposure: 2.5 sec
Aperture: f/22.0
Focal Length: 39mm
The picture was taken at Firery Gizzard wilderness in Tennessee...

http://picasaweb.google.com/drossic/Fir ... 1408549826

http://picasaweb.google.com/drossic/Fir ... 1914758962

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:23 pm 
very dreamy. I love the 2nd one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:50 pm 
Henning91 wrote:
very dreamy. I love the 2nd one.

Thanks Henning91.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:34 pm 
Site Admin

I like them Drossic!

Was our video tutorial helpful?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:49 pm 
Excellent composition and execution. Perhaps a tad overexposed - with regards the the left of the frame. I'm going to mention one of my favourite landscape filters - the ND filter. Did you happen to use one? It would certainly help with preventing overexposure with long shutter speeds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:03 pm 
........ a polariser would help as it can act as a ND along with its ability to darken down sky's and reduce flair ....... it is a good starting point and a filter you can use a lot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:27 am 
Gordon Laing wrote:
I like them Drossic!

Was our video tutorial helpful?

Thats what got me going Gordon! Nick 12984 steer me to it . If you have the time to keep those tutorials, going please do, they are very helpful. So are your evaluation of the crameras and lenses. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:38 am 
Big Pix wrote:
........ a polariser would help as it can act as a ND along with its ability to darken down sky's and reduce flair ....... it is a good starting point and a filter you can use a lot

I'll try and get me one Big Pix thanks. I was looking in a camera case of my dads and found a corkin filter system with some... I think you call them Grad filters. I'm going to try them as well. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:21 pm 
Niiiice.... very nice !
Did you do any edit or are those pictures as they came out from the camera?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:22 am 
Khol wrote:
Niiiice.... very nice !
Did you do any edit or are those pictures as they came out from the camera?

Because of some overexposer, I had to clean it up and crop it. Some day I hope to be good enough to stare it into beautiful submission. :D hee hee
Until then I'll be happy tripping over my on two left feet and learning from it...Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:51 am 
I had a go at some simiilar pictures recently and very quickly noticed that the slower shutter speed caused the image to be overexposed as too much light flooded in. What steps can I take to prevent this, and how much help is an ND filter? I already have a polariser.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 am 
Reduce the ISO and then if you plan to use a filter, a plain ND may be best - this doesn't have a gradient and is plain throughout, so it reduces light equally throughout your frame. Otherwise a CPL "turned off" could also reduce the light by a stop or so.